Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine problems

happy pappy
09-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Hoping someone can help me with this.

Last night while driving my '97 toyota tercel, smoke and oil started pouring from the muffler, and the engine started shaking and sputtering pretty bad. Someone told me it sounds like I blew a rod, can anyone else lend an opinion?

public
09-15-2004, 03:41 PM
It sounds more like you broke a ring. If you threw a rod bad enough for oil to get in the exhaust the engine would not be turnig over. You will need a new piston and rings at minimum and possible a sleeve for the cylinder. Good Luck.

Evil Result
09-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Could be a blow head gasket, if it was a rod you'd know it... i remember when a rod broke on my moms V8 made the most god aweful banging sound...but it kept moving hehe.

happy pappy
09-15-2004, 08:02 PM
It sounds more like you broke a ring. If you threw a rod bad enough for oil to get in the exhaust the engine would not be turnig over. You will need a new piston and rings at minimum and possible a sleeve for the cylinder. Good Luck.

About how much will this cost to repair in your opinion? thanks

B1SiR6A
09-16-2004, 01:59 AM
but it kept moving hehe.

LoL...in the end isnt that all that really matters?

civickiller
09-16-2004, 05:50 AM
depends what went wrong, what color was the smoke ?

happy pappy
09-16-2004, 10:42 AM
depends what went wrong, what color was the smoke ?
it was light colored, not black, and a small amount of oil was also coming out of the tailpipe.

swiftrecon
09-16-2004, 05:35 PM
it was light colored, not black, and a small amount of oil was also coming out of the tailpipe.

sounds like vaporized coolant. check ur coolant level. u said ur engine is shaking? misfire maybe, something has disable your sprak. take them out, and have a look, see if any of them is wet or covered with somthing.

happy pappy
09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
sounds like vaporized coolant. check ur coolant level. u said ur engine is shaking? misfire maybe, something has disable your sprak. take them out, and have a look, see if any of them is wet or covered with somthing.

Well, I just flushed the radiator, and replaced the coolant about a week ago, then I drove 2,000 miles without any problem, then it happened.

I had a toyota mechanic tell me it's pretty common for tercels that year to need the head gasket replaced around 60K.

Getting to spark plugs on these cars is almost impossible it seems, but I'll see what I can find, thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!