Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

firing problem

Scott_bradley
09-15-2004, 01:01 PM
i got a 94 mustang and when it gets warm you can gas it and it will die. It loses fire 4 some reason ive put a cap, rotor, plugs, wires, control module on it and it still does it, and nobody knows why not even ford they said they cant find nothing wrong with it. It also vibrates at 1000 rpm's when taking off and slowing down.

Someone help me "Please"

Scott_bradley
09-15-2004, 01:03 PM
and sometimes it wont die but if u shut it off it wont start back 4 about an hour

Mendari
09-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Is it an automatic or a manual transmission? How does the engine behave when the car is in neutral?
When the car doesn't start until an hour, does it turn-over at all?

Also, how would you rate your technical knowledge about cars?

PeeWee: I fill it with gas, turn the key and drive.

Beginner: I know the number of cylinders in my engine, it's displacement and which wheels the power is going to.

Intermediate: I know my car's compression ratio, gear ratios and the difference between natural aspiration and forced induction.

Advanced: Howdy neighbor, can I borrow your engine hoist?

Scott_bradley
09-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Advanced on a chevy intermediate on a ford
it cranks over just fine it just loses fire 2 the coil, but if u run a wire from the battery 2 the coil it will start right up

Mendari
09-15-2004, 05:39 PM
How about the knock sensor? I'm just throwing this out because the engine will start when you mickey-mouse a power wire directly to the coil. It sounds as if something is retarding the timing, ignition, or both.

...However, I remember reading something regarding a crank position sensor causing similar symptoms. I'd start researching the crank position sensor first.

wildstringer
09-15-2004, 06:40 PM
i could be wrong but if it has a distributor does it have a crank sensor as well . anyway i would suggest the same thing i always do when these symtoms occur since you have changed the basic parts and mod. and it will start when using a jumper wire i would assume the coil is ok try changing the pickup coil inside the dist. you will need to remove the dist shaft though.

Scott_bradley
09-15-2004, 09:17 PM
ford said the crank sensor was fine. but i took it back 2 them 2 fix. i thought abot the pickup coil but i was tired of putting more parts on i didnt need

Scott_bradley
09-15-2004, 09:20 PM
it is an automatic. And what about that 1 grand vibration doesnt matter if it is in gear or not.?

wildstringer
09-15-2004, 09:25 PM
im not sure about the vibration sorry .Just out of curiosity where is the crank sensor located on that yr. it wont always do it but most of the time if it is a crank sensor it would set a code which would turn the mil lamp on

351wStang
09-15-2004, 10:07 PM
The crank sensor should be down at the crank. Magnetic end pointing at the pulse ring.

wildstringer
09-15-2004, 11:16 PM
thanks man . i didnt recall seeing one on that year

Jitterbug050
09-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Seeing some of the problems are heat related, did you try a coolant sensor? ["gets warm...needs to cool off for 4 hours"]

HiFlow5 0
09-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Does the car cut out while driving or just won't start sometimes? How are the plugs/wires? I have a few ideas, TFI, Coil etc.

Also the vibration problem, is it speed specific, or RPM specific?

Mendari
09-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Have you cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve? I've never had to do this, but someone in another forum seems to be having the same problem and it worked for him.

Add your comment to this topic!