Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air Bag light will not turn off

kman1234
09-15-2004, 09:12 AM
I removed my airbag the other day after I was told I had to remove my steering wheel to get at the steering column. Realizing all I had to do was remove some screws and a couple panels I decided to put my air bag back in.

I conected both wires to the air bag, and attached the air bag back to the steering wheel, replaced the fuses connected the battery and now the light stays on or constantly flashes as I drive.

Tonight I am going to pull the air bag again and make sure the wires have a good connection, I noticed after the air bag was out there was 2 small posts, which I believe was used to line the air bag, fo when you replace it. These post are metal, if the air bag is not lined up properly is it possible that is what is causing the problem? Or could it be a wiring problem? The truck worked fine before I took the air bag out.

Please, any suggestions would be great.

Paul Masley
09-16-2004, 07:14 PM
When you took the bag out, you set off the sensor alarm. You will have to take it to a mechanic that hs the programmer to reset the system.

One thing, if you are a rookie at this, you were very brave to remove the air bag. Static electricity can set those mommas off when they are disconnected from the vehicle.

kman1234
09-17-2004, 11:51 AM
I think it is better you told me that after.

I was scared enough when I had to put it back in, I had my hands between the airbag and the steering wheel to hook up the wire connections.

But that is what I figured that the codes had to be reset.

Thanks for the help

Add your comment to this topic!