Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Diff

LTJGWorth
09-14-2004, 05:18 PM
I posted on here once before about a whining sound in my rear end. The answer that was given to me was that a lot of trucks do that and it's nothing to worry about. Come to find out, its the pinion bearings. I haven't checked mine yet, but i have found numerous forums on the net that have mentioned this and everyone of them says it's the pinion bearings. Anyone know how hard those are to replace? I want to know if I can do it here at the house.

BleedDodge
09-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Nothing is hard. Time and tools are all you should need.

LTJGWorth
09-15-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm going to have my mechanic do it anyway.

BleedDodge
09-15-2004, 10:11 PM
I would too. It's a dirty job. Learning can be fun though.

pfrontin
09-18-2004, 10:07 AM
I just started hearing a whine from my rear end, too. It only happens when I've been on the road a long time (mostly on long trips). I was thinking it was either the pinion bearing or the output shaft bearing 'cause it doesn't slow down when I pull the truck out of gear at speed.

Does that sound like what yours is doing?

LTJGWorth
09-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Mine does it as long as I have my foot on the gas. If i press on the pedal, it gets a little faster and a little louder. If I let of the gas and let the truck coast, it stops. I thought maybe it was just the fluid being old. I changed it (and it DID need to be changed) and it didn't help. There wasn't any metal in the diff case or in the fluid, so I'm either going to just put up with the whine, or have new pinion bearings put in.

Add your comment to this topic!