Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

If you own a Corvair, SPEAK UP!

SpitAndDirt
09-14-2004, 01:48 PM
My Corvairs (65' 110hp PG and 66' 110hp 4sp) are the first vehicles I have ever owned. I started learning how to work on cars beginning with my 1965 Monza 110hp Auto. It was my first attempt at rebuilding a motor. Some would say that I'm crazy for doing so, but people don't realize the whole story behind the car. In fact, die-hard Camaro owners will cringe at the fact that the body lines of the first Camaros were taken from the lines of the 65-69 Corvair. The designer Larry Shinoda was responsible for this. I could throw out some more interesting facts, but I want to see who responds to this forum first. One myth that everyone should know as being false is that the Corvair is a dangerous driving car and Nader was the SOLE reason the Corvair was discontinued. I wave the BS flag here. Nader had a part in that he brought about bad publicity with his book(Unsafe at Any Speed) concerning the fact that GM underdesigned the suspension on the 60-64 model Vairs' . His book did not solely badmouth just the Vair' as he actually cited problems with other manufactures vehicles as well. For those that have not read the book, YOU HAVE NO REASON TO TRY AND TELL ME THAT MY CAR IS DANGEROUS. I would say that his book, and the reaction to it, is directly related to the creation of the NHTSA. The truth is that the car was not designed to be driven like a hot rod, it's was originally brought about to be America's answer to the hot selling VW Beetle. To be sold with economy and dependability in mind. As for the real cause to the demise of the Corvair, FOMOCO had introduced the Mustang and it's sales were tremendous. I believe that the highest selling years for the Corvair was 64-66. Corvair sales numbers severely dropped after buyers rushed to buy Ford's hot new convertible. GM knew it needed to provide a competing product. So in 67 the Camaro was introduced and so the feud begins. Combined with rising sales of the V8 front engined Camaro, stiff competition with the Mustang, AND bad publicity from Nader's book, the Corvair's last year of production was in 1969. In 1972 or 74( I can't remember), GM was absolved of any liability for the Corvair. It was proven through that court case that the Corvair was as safe as any other car produced during that period by any other manufacturer. Too little, too late. But the Corvair will always have a following cult of enthusiasts. The fact is that the car is actually a very fun drive, and it is unique. I can't tell you how many times that I have driven by people with confidence, as they slide about on an icy road on a cold winter's morning. With all the fancy features we have today(ABS, traction control, push button four wheel drive) nothing substitutes good driving skills and knowing the limit of your vehicle. I believe the Corvair was given a bad rap because it was a different car, with different handling characteristics. It was an experiment in automotive design and manufacturing techniques. I belive that I can say that without the Corvair, we may not have certain cars that we drive today, not just the Camaro. Anyone ever heard of the Monza GT? or the Astro 1? Ever thought about having a mid-engine V8? Did you know that the Corvair is the FIRST MASS PRODUCED automobile with the use of turbocharger, a factory option on Corvair Corsa's and Spyders? And you thought turbocharging was some new idea! Owners of Corvairs are definitely considered to be Die-hard car nuts. As an owner myself, and I think I can speak for others, once you own a Corvair, there will always be a second one on the way. We can't just own one. Long live the Corvair! Thanks for reading. -Chris

-Ralph doesn't drive.

bestoil
09-18-2004, 10:18 AM
i really miss my old vair. the things i would do with mine would make most people curl and cry like babys. no pain no gain great car. my dad has a van with turbo spyder . love to play with vets when he see them on the road. :evillol:

MagicRat
09-19-2004, 03:44 PM
I never owned a corvair. I nearly bought a perfect 4 dr 110 hp PG for $1500 about 6 years ago, but I was an idiot and bought a 4 cyl Fiero instead (Doh!!)

Has anyone hear actually READ Unsafe At Any Speed?
I have, cover to cover. In it Ralph complains about the power brake booster in the early '50's Buick Roadmasters, too. His point is that the arrogant large corporatios knowlingly sell unsafe designs - and if you know about the exploding Pinto debacle, you would agree.

As we know, Ford knew in 1970 that their gas tank placement on the Pinto left it vulnerable in a crash, but the cost to make it safer was about $2 per car, and that it would be cheaper to pay off the lawsuits from the predicted amount of crash burn victims than to actually make the cars safer.

The problem with Ralph's book is that the Corvair's handling problem that he writes about was fixed a couple of years before his book was published.

Furthermore, about 4 or 5 years after Ralph's book, another one was published called "The Unsafest of All; the VW Beetle. "
I forget the writer of this book, but he makes the case that the Beetle has the same handling problem of the early Corvair PLUS many other critical safety problems unique to the Beetle.
Also, he writes that the unsafest of ALL is the VW Microbus.

Now, why did Ralph go after GM when VW made far more dangerous cars and never corrected their problems?
Because attacking huge GM was a better launch pad for his career as a high profile lawyer and consumerist sh*t disturber than attacking a much smaller VW.
To summerise, while Ralphs book was reasonably correct, it was mostly self serving, to get his career going.

SpitAndDirt
09-20-2004, 05:53 PM
AMEN fellow enthusiast!!!!!

sunday_driver
11-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Ditto, Corvair!!!

01-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Oldsmobile F85 Jetfire was available with a turbo in 62 same as the Corvair.

I learned to drive in a 63 Corvair automatic.

vairman65
02-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Just found this site so thought i'd throw my 'vairs' on here.
I drive (yes, actually drive ) a 64 monza 2-door , 110hp w/4-speed to work 1-2 days a week 40miles roundtrip. I pulled it out of a guys front yard in 1982 where it had sat since 1974. I worked on it off and on until about 1992 when I found a 65 monza convertible locally for sale for $500, which I of course bought. Interest in the 64 went away while I found a 140hp engine/tranny to rebuild to replace the 95 hp someone had put in the conv. After a year and $3000 I had the motor built and ready to put in, which I did. I had the interior redone and a new top put on about 5 years ago and have yet to put the seats in. I have a front end I saved from a parts car to put on. I've bought a couple dashes for corsa to install so that this will be a corsa clone. It runs like a striped ape, at least last time I drove it a couple years ago. Oh, back to my story on the 64. I put it in storage after I got the 65 going back in 94-5. Well, last October of 04 I decided to get it out of storage and drive it since my daily driver went out. I hadn't started it for at least 2, probably 3 years and after putting some fresh gas and a battery on it she started up after maybe 10 seconds of cranking! Noisy lifter quited down after the first 10 miles or so. Been driving it ever since and haven't even bothered fixing my broken supra. Just wish it had a 5th speed for the interstate as 80 mph she winds up pretty good.
First car I bought in 78 was a 64 monza with fact. air so I feel like i'm 16 again driving it. Plus its just fun! Hope to finish the 65 by this time next year! Corvairs Rock!
Oh, on the nader thing for those who are wondering what the problem was that was fixed in 64, it was the rear suspension on the earlier(63 and before) models. On hard cornering the rear wheels would 'buckle' so to speak, making the car unstable sometimes if the driver pushed to car to hard. I guess there were accidents because of this. Gm put a stabilizer bar between the wheels in 64 fixing the problem. I think it was more of a driver problem then a corvair problem
anyway. sorry for the ramblin'....

CaliGirl007
03-11-2005, 05:55 AM
1964 Monza 900 w/ 4 barrell conversion, electronic ignition, headers, and new fuel pump.

I love finding new performance vair parts, Larry's Corvair is awesome and on ebay. I bought alot of powder coated parts from him.

I LOVE my CORVAIR, its so easy to work on! I just wish I had more $$ to spoil her

ricesucks
03-20-2005, 09:38 AM
I dont own a corvair, but my dad does. Its a white 1964 convertable monza. 4 on the floor. Red interior. I love it! We got so many stares when I went for a drive in it. I live in the mountains of PA, I never had a problem with the handling. What motor does it have? I think it has the 110hp one? I'm not sure. I love the petals postion and the shifter. I love the clutch feel too. I really like my dads covair. The problem with it is, it has an exhuast leak, so it smells really bad when the top isn't down :grinno:

GPFred
05-05-2005, 10:41 AM
My first car was a 1965 Corvair 140 HP auto with overhead 4BBL ram air induction. Tried to convert it to turbo, but couldn't get it to work. My dad put a 3/4 Crane cam into it, and this car could sit up and scream. Loved the heck out of it. Had a problem with it popping the head studs. Eventually healey coils would no longer work and the tranny started slipping in second gear. Had to sell it when I got out of the Army. Bought a 4 door Montego fully loaded to replace it, but my heart still beats fast for a Corvair. Started restoring a 1966 Corvair 500 4dr 3-speed a few years back, but it became a money pit and had to sell it. But one day I will have another one. :)

Corvair_Corsa
06-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I never liked a car so much as my Corsa -66 (turbo 180 hp)
I sold it about 20 years ago .... cause I needed money and I
was tired of the bad smell in it I couldnt get rid of.
It accelerated good, it was very beautiful (the worlds most beautiful car seen from the rear and some other angels to)
And it was very good in the bendings (curves or what to say in english, no special risc at all to drive it fast)
From 1965 the Corvair got not only the new body, it gor the rear-axle
with 4 parts as Corvette. And not heavy in the rear, the engine was made of aluminium. Easy to compensate a bit in the front (luggage)
and then only check the adjustings everywhere.
It was a dream to drive.
Earlier I had a Monza -65 and a 4-door 500 -65.
I got a member here today (owning an Astro now) and I will see if I can put a pic here of that Corsa.

NEVER FORGETTING THE CORVAIR

animal2000
01-08-2006, 06:59 PM
i have 9..love them ..been triving corvairs for 25 years +no other car beats them...

skooge
02-06-2006, 09:57 PM
My dad has a 1961 monza 2 door.

ralfwho
02-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Own 3 of them and have experience with them dating back to '66.

They are terrific cars and Ralph was sort of correct. The problem is that if you are expecting a Corvair (early model 60-64) to handle like a 'normal' front engine/rear drive automobile, you're in for a nig surprise when you least expect it. Like getting on a freeway in a tight turn with a slick road.

But if you're a semi-conscious driver (that lets out about 60% of the driving public), its' handling quirks should be fine.

Much more dangerous is the cars' heating system which takes air that circulates around the engine and exhaust manifold and sends it into the passenger compartment. A bad gasket in a variety of places will give you a strong oil or gas smell and a bad exhaust packing or head gasket could kill you.

I use fresh air thru a remote oil cooler to heat mine.

jsnova
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I own and drive daily a '63 Monza coupe 102 PG. My girlfriend owns and drives daily a '61 700 coupe 80 PG. Both of us have 30+ miles roundtrips to work and wouldn't drive anything else. We're taking the '63 to Buffalo for the National Convention this year. Anyone else going?

ralfwho
02-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Dave and I (Dave is my son who doesn't have the decency to at least put his old wheels on my car after he takes off MY new tires. He left my car up on jacks after I came home with new rims!). We'll be there in our 65 Corsa Convert.

But he'll suffer. I've been putting a gallon of gas in his car every couple of days for about 2 weeks now. He's been bragging about his 'golden touch' with Corvairs, and strutting around about his 24 MPG. Next month I will be siphoning out a gallon every day or so. Let's see what he does then...

excheezhead
03-05-2006, 02:54 PM
drove a 64 2dr with the slip slide 2 spd auto with the little chrome stick on the dash, ran good, but in san diego in summer traffic, the warmer it got, the more the tranny sliped, so i traded up to a 66 corsa conv. stick shift. except for the sloppy shift rods, which i fixed with a jc whitney(?) kit i really liked it, just wish they came with a/c!! i also owned a corvair van!! do not recomend speeds above 35, as if your going 60(max speed on flat surface with tail wind) and get passed by ANYTHING, hold on, cause the fun is just begining!!
they would have made better sail boats.
love all my 'vairs, though, and miss the 66 corsa conv. the most.

stevewalters
03-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Our friend Jason owns the corvair in this music video.

Check out the link it's stunning.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1971287044477770768&q=corvair

It's one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen.

I work with the girl in the video (help her with her IT and website), Mel, she said the Corvair was one of the most exhilirating cars she's ever been fortunate enough to drive.

This car is kept outside of Cape Town, South Africa (her owner is more famous there than she is:wink: ). Jason's the guy riding behind her on his Harley Davidson.

I'm biased, but I wish I could own THAT car!

Cheers.

Stevo.

Stabby_McTwist
03-29-2006, 04:06 PM
We own a few. They're good cars, but I was little when ours last ran. I'm working on my Greenbrer, though! The others are in storage, but they're next.

Aremy Griese
04-08-2006, 12:40 AM
i have a 65 and a 66 both are getting restored. I like the 66 better, dont really like the 65

WJH
04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
For my son's 1st car, I bought a 66 corsa. Instant celebrity at school. It was his daily driver untill we decided to restore it to a higher level. As far as Nader goes, the Corvair had a run of 10 model years, about the limit normally. It was a goner without Nader or the Mustang. The biggest problem, engine seals, has been eliminated over the years by newer technology. My oldest son has an 86 GT Fiero that is really fine, and a 87 300 ZX Nissan (non turbo) . He prefers the Corvair. As far as handling goes, I don't recall any Ford Falcon ralley clubs. Corvairs also ruled Pike's Peak. They put Corvair engines in Porsches for the torque. The world's foremost expert on homebuilt aircraft prefers Corvair engines, every critical part came from the factory forged steel. Do a little research and you will be impressed at what these cars have accomplished. And anybody can look at the lines on the 2nd generation Corvair and see the early Camaro.

blueandyellow16
08-14-2006, 06:02 PM
i own a 65' 110 four-door. picked it up at a swap meet and i enjoy every bit of it. my first car =]

twiztidsanity
11-09-2006, 12:34 AM
I have a Yellow 1966 Corsa 140..

I love that car to death. 14 inch rims off a 1982 Chevelle, it looks good.

But yeah. Alot of camaro owners get mad. Even more mad that Corvair was going to be competition for the mustang, but the Corvair didn't offer a V8 so Chevrolet decided to get something to compete with the V8.

I love my corvair. I am going to eventually put a newer steering wheel in it because of how thin the stock one is and not having power steering

metaxa44
11-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi guys ...
I have a 67 convertible monza..
Sweetest looking car and very unique..
I love it !!!!

rampside
12-02-2006, 09:22 PM
My son who is fifteen just bought his dream vehical a 63 rampside. It runs like a top we just had to reseal the diferential and transaxle. We also put brakes all the way around. he is excited about learning how to work on the rampy and can't wait to get his license. We hope to start the body work soon it is mostly solid with a few rust spots but more dings than anything else.

maverick50616
01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
62 Sedan, Ermine White with red interior undergoing restoration

Tareece
03-31-2007, 11:28 AM
I've owned alot of them....trying to get a 65 vert back on the road
Owned 60 golden 4 door....66 4 door monza, 66 monza 2 door

new vair
08-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Hi, My name is new vair ..(John).. I just bought my first corvair 1 Week ago and i just love it..I got it from a collage guy.. and the car is a 1962 corvair monza spyder..wow what a car..and last friday i was on line and saw an other one and went and bought it too just yesterday .now i have two and never owned one before..I think i will make one of them into a show car..seems like lots of fun..I hope to talk again soon after i get going on them and will post the progress..Thanks John - new vair
By the way i also picked up a rebuilt 1964 complete turbo engine yesterday from the same guy that i got the spyder from...you would not belive how cheap for all..THX. John

Ratt643
11-30-2007, 04:35 AM
I have a "64 900 Monza. Has the 110 h.p (164 c.i.) with factory four speed. I bought mine from my brother in law for $100.It was in a barn for twenty years. I started the car and thought I was well on my way to start driving when #6 rod started knocking.:shakehead So, I rebuilt the engine with some corvair guru's that I work with and it purrs like a kitten. I am waiting for the upholstery to be finished and have the car painted. It will be my daily driver. I am looking at putting disk brakes on the front and adding air conditioning.The guys who already drive theirs have four speeds and get 28m.p.g if they take it easy. Beats the 15 that current pick-up gets. Can't wait to see it in silver paint with red interior!

randy78
01-31-2008, 04:23 AM
edit

figured out my pass for this name finally, yay :D

we have a 68 corvair monza convertible

engine rebuilt by an old timer long ago runs perfect drives great,
bodywork done and ready for paint
new black interior and black top soon
light green color like stock
stock 14" steel wheels and covers,
basically all original

we have a code YN 110hp corvair engine and 4 speed trans and the entire frame cradle for sale as well if anyone is looking

fastr68@yahoo email or IM anytime

Randy

excheezhead
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Heater?? you got a heater?

serously, just google corvair parts and there are several good suppliers that have OEM, or updated less self-destructove materials.
good luck.
p.s. don't rank on the "old timer" you got the car from too hard. your life will not be complete untill this comes back on you!!(karma!) i remember when my cousin bought a 63 coupe brand new with the money he save after a tour in the navy. we cruised that car, even took it off road once after some bad dandylion wine from the barn!!!
don't crush 'em, restore 'em!!
actual old-timer
:smokin::smokin:

randy78
03-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Heater?? you got a heater?

serously, just google corvair parts and there are several good suppliers that have OEM, or updated less self-destructove materials.
good luck.
p.s. don't rank on the "old timer" you got the car from too hard. your life will not be complete untill this comes back on you!!(karma!) i remember when my cousin bought a 63 coupe brand new with the money he save after a tour in the navy. we cruised that car, even took it off road once after some bad dandylion wine from the barn!!!
don't crush 'em, restore 'em!!
actual old-timer
:smokin::smokin:

hi there oh, well im not ranking on him he did a great job and it runs great, i guess you have misunderstood me hmm

i have not found any such suppliers that have the main heater duct

dont seem to exist

hmmm

thanks

Randy

MonzaMan
11-27-2008, 10:44 AM
my grandfather bought me my first car a year ago, my 64 corvair monza. as far as i know it has been sitting for a long time before i got it. i love this little car. this car gets me a lot of attention. this old thing is looking like its age. i want to completly resote her but i have no idea where to start. maybe someone can piont me in the right direction. thanks

MagicRat
11-27-2008, 11:47 AM
my grandfather bought me my first car a year ago, my 64 corvair monza. as far as i know it has been sitting for a long time before i got it. i love this little car. this car gets me a lot of attention. this old thing is looking like its age. i want to completly resote her but i have no idea where to start. maybe someone can piont me in the right direction. thanks
Welcome to AF.

That sounds like a nice car. Can you post some pics?

The first thing to do with any restoration is to decide how you are going to use it (Show car, special occasion car or daily driver) and come up with a plan (including estimated cost) on how to get there.

Often, it is cheaper to buy a really good old car than it will cost to fix one that is in really poor shape.
What you want to avoid is starting a project only to realize that the car will cost you more to fix than its worth.

So have a really good look at the body/chassis for rust/damage, at the interior and the mechanical pieces. Decide what needs to be fixed, and what would be nice to fix, but is not necessary.

Then make a list and attach costs to those. Work out what can be done first.This will be your plan.

Be objective about the costs. Look at the cost of really nice, used Corvairs like yours. Most Corvairs (turbo Spyders and convertibles aside) are not expensive to buy.
If you can buy one for less than it would cost to fix yours, then carefully consider if the project is worth it to you.

Corvairs are pretty simple and easy-to-fix cars. If you are handy, much of the work can be done yourself. The most difficult thing to fix is severe rust and/or accident damage. If the unit body is straight and reasonably rust free and if the engine and transmission do not show signs of being worn-out, the rest is pretty easy.

BTW unless you have lots of experience, imho avoid deciding on fixing everything at once. Plenty of first-timers decide to do everything on a car all at once; they take it all apart them become overwhelmed at the size and cost of the project then lose interest, leaving a garage full of useless car pieces.

I have found it's best to make the car drivable and enjoyable first. Then you can enjoy the car while you are fixing the details. This will help you remain enthusiastic about the car.

Spectria, L1 MT
01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Welcome to AF.

That sounds like a nice car. Can you post some pics?

The first thing to do with any restoration is to decide how you are going to use it (Show car, special occasion car or daily driver) and come up with a plan (including estimated cost) on how to get there.

Often, it is cheaper to buy a really good old car than it will cost to fix one that is in really poor shape.
What you want to avoid is starting a project only to realize that the car will cost you more to fix than its worth.

So have a really good look at the body/chassis for rust/damage, at the interior and the mechanical pieces. Decide what needs to be fixed, and what would be nice to fix, but is not necessary.

Then make a list and attach costs to those. Work out what can be done first.This will be your plan.

Be objective about the costs. Look at the cost of really nice, used Corvairs like yours. Most Corvairs (turbo Spyders and convertibles aside) are not expensive to buy.
If you can buy one for less than it would cost to fix yours, then carefully consider if the project is worth it to you.

Corvairs are pretty simple and easy-to-fix cars. If you are handy, much of the work can be done yourself. The most difficult thing to fix is severe rust and/or accident damage. If the unit body is straight and reasonably rust free and if the engine and transmission do not show signs of being worn-out, the rest is pretty easy.

BTW unless you have lots of experience, imho avoid deciding on fixing everything at once. Plenty of first-timers decide to do everything on a car all at once; they take it all apart them become overwhelmed at the size and cost of the project then lose interest, leaving a garage full of useless car pieces.

I have found it's best to make the car drivable and enjoyable first. Then you can enjoy the car while you are fixing the details. This will help you remain enthusiastic about the car.

This is great advice on how to begin bringing a car back!! Wish I had learned this when I was much younger.

My1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible is just sitting in the Garage waiting for me and money to get it back on the road.

My info says it is one of 580 built, and it's all original with faded paint.

Found it on Craigslist for $1200 and sent the check based on the VIN and 3 poor quality pics. I wonder what it is worth.

When i picked it up, it turned out to be rust free, no tears in the top and Mountain Lion tracks on the deck lid and in the back seat (it was in a barn near Paradise, Ca.)

I can't wait to get it running.

My First car was a 1960 Monza 4 door powerglide. Then I bought a 63 Spyder Vert, 64 Monza Vert, 63 Van, Put a 140 in a 1970 Vw Bus, Put a 110 in a 64 Bug, and more that I can't remember. Getting old sure dims the good memories...

I just found this group and hope to visit more often.

Does anyone want to help me learn how to post pics to this thread???

Blue Bowtie
01-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Upload your images to a web-accessible address. Many ISPs allocate customers some storage space for web pages, images, files, etc. Use an FTP program or whatever means your ISP suggests for the process. If you don't have web space, you can upload your images to any of a number of free hosting services, like PhotoBucket.com

Once the images are uploaded, link them into your posts with the following format:

http://mysite.verizon.net/strey/files/Image-postUBB.jpg

If that seems like a lot of effort, just click on the little "Insert Image" icon in the posting tools window.

Jefferscene
08-31-2009, 03:03 PM
I bought my first (and only still) Corvair when i was 15 on ebay. it is a Rampside pickup, and i get looks everywhere i go. this truck is just as much a workhorse as my uncles F250. I use it to help friends and family move, with the ramp it makes it so much easier than a conventional truck. i believe Chevorlet should re-design the corvair. with the current race for fuel efficient automobiles, it would be a great competitor, my truck get's around 20 mpg, which for a 63 pick up is ridiculous (it doesn't anymore since the recent break downs) but as much as maintenance may frustrate me as an 18 year old college student, i wouldn't trade for anything ever (except a brandnew one :tongue:) in my opinion the corvair was an example of trial and error, because even today these old family economy vehicles are still doing just as good as the showroom cars.

Andy Rupert
06-12-2011, 09:30 PM
I just bought a 1966 Corvair 500 coupe. It's white with blue interior and has the 110 engine. I'm hoping to make a daily driver of it but have a few things to take care of first. Looks like fun.

Spectria, L1 MT
06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Welcome, there are few of us on AF, but I own one of 585 ever built, All Original rust free 1966 Turbo Corsa Convertibles, and this year it gets a running engine! It even has the original top with a bad plastic window. Been garaged since the 70's.
Have fun with your driver, it should good on gas TOO!

Dave Z, Nor Cal :smile:

driver77
02-22-2012, 01:57 PM
So I'm looking at my first Corvair- my grandfathers 65 monza. Engine rebuilt 10 yrs ago, now with only 500 miles on it, and its sat for 2 yrs. Its outta town, Im about to fly down and deal with it and what Ive gathered so far (over the phone) is that one of the carbs probably needs a rebuild and maybe it doesnt go in reverse. What worries me, of course, is that transmission. I only have time to fly down and take it to a shop, throw some money at it. Im wondering how much money I can expect to be throwing at it. Lotta guesswork here, I know, but if anyone has any insight or experience here, I'd appreciate it

Spectria, L1 MT
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
So I'm looking at my first Corvair- my grandfathers 65 monza. Engine rebuilt 10 yrs ago, now with only 500 miles on it, and its sat for 2 yrs. Its outta town, Im about to fly down and deal with it and what Ive gathered so far (over the phone) is that one of the carbs probably needs a rebuild and maybe it doesnt go in reverse. What worries me, of course, is that transmission. I only have time to fly down and take it to a shop, throw some money at it. Im wondering how much money I can expect to be throwing at it. Lotta guesswork here, I know, but if anyone has any insight or experience here, I'd appreciate it
First, Welcome to Corvairs...
Second, I don't know how far you need to travel, but hauling it to your home turf and getting it worked on locally is always better.
Third, Carb problems can flair up on the road, especially if it hasn't run in awhile, could lead to a fire, not trying to scare you, but flooding from a sticking float can have that result.
If you're set on having it fixed where it is, how do you decide on which shop to use, Corvairs are very special, you could spend thousands if the shop doesn't KNOW Corvairs.
Lastly, you don't need reverse to drive it home, but the fuel problem would keep me off the road until I went through the carbs.
Good luck, ask again if you have anymore questions, had a shop going on 40 years, and I'm edecat'd to! He He!
Dave

driver77
02-22-2012, 03:45 PM
yeah im hoping just for a carb rebuild and tune up at a shop down there (its in palm springs, im in oakland) and to be able to drive it home without the reverse n deal with that here. i dont have the time or experience to do the carbs myself (i did it once on my dodge van and swore id never do it again). i dont suppose you know anyone in the palm springs area who knows corvairs-?

Spectria, L1 MT
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM
yeah im hoping just for a carb rebuild and tune up at a shop down there (its in palm springs, im in oakland) and to be able to drive it home without the reverse n deal with that here. i dont have the time or experience to do the carbs myself (i did it once on my dodge van and swore id never do it again). i dont suppose you know anyone in the palm springs area who knows corvairs-?
No I don't, and your plan is a good one, I am near Santa Cruz, the LA area is full of Corvair specialty shops, I think you could probably buy a couple rebuilt ones.

JimboRob
04-11-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm new here. I own a '64 Corvair Monza convertible. I am in the process of restoring the car after it being garaged for about 10-12 years. I have found that the heater control damper is stuck solid. Nothing I have tried seems to be able to make it move. Does anyone out there know how to remove the heater without having to remove the engine and possibly the differential as well? Any help would certainly be appreciated.http://staticaf.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

Add your comment to this topic!