Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fan Belt Squealing

DWalton2004
09-14-2004, 02:16 AM
hey yall, hows everyone doing? well me im doing good..newazs i have a 1996 mitsubishi galant es with 55,300 miles on it and for some reasons my car'sfan belt will start squeaking loud at night but it doesnt do it during the day i guess because since i live in las vegas and its warm during the day thats why it doesnt squeak but in the evening when it's cool , it be squeaking hella loud and i get upset abt it b/c ive put wd40 on it and it still isnt no help and plus the belts are abt 1.5 months old. It only does that in the evening time and i dont want it to squeak no more. Does anybody knows whats wrong or have ne one who has a galant that went through this before? if ne one can help me please email at dwalton2004@aol.com or simply post your response up here! thank yall so much
Darren

Scooby2204
09-19-2004, 05:52 AM
ok first things first a 96 galant doesnt have a fan belt it has 3 belts one running the power steering another running your altinator and water pump and the other for your ac compressor. second thing wd40 is a bad idea wd 40 is a lubricant wich will make your belts slip wich will make the noise louder. problem probably is that either the belts arent tight enough or since its only at night time the moisture from the night time dew sets on your belts and causes them to slip a little and thats what makes the squealing noise you hear. either tighten the belts up a bit or they do have a belt dressing that u can spray on the underside of the belts you can find a few brands of it at any auto part store just ask an assosiate of the store to point u in the right dirrection

Shpyder
09-19-2004, 04:23 PM
if you recently changed belts, the belt quality could be bad. i got new belts that were cross thatched and i slapped on OEM, no problems...check the tensioners and the way the pulleys are installed.

ojunior0411
06-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I have a 1996 galant also, with the same noise. i've been told it may be a belt tensioning pulley. with my problem, it squeals with the a/c running, but not with the a/c off. definitely DO NOT use wd40, as it will cause further problems. use belt dressing first, then try to tighten the belt. if this does not correct your problem, chances are the tension pulley needs replaced.

bezzleman
07-03-2005, 11:53 PM
i also own a 96 galant and a while back my sister used it on a long distance drive somewhere n it broke down on her and the only way it would start up again is if the A/C belt was cut.so yea.no more A/C.and to this day there still isnt a belt there but the squealing noise still goes on every other 5mins,probably just as much as you guys are suffering.so i wanna know is if i put a new belt on.should i expect the squealing to stop for good?

Add your comment to this topic!