Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

8 pound flywheel....

eclipse2quick21
09-13-2004, 05:40 PM
do you think this is too light for everyday/daily driver street use?

also, im trying to buy a GSR tranny. i understand itll drop right in, but i also heard it will help with faster acceleration. is this true?

knorwj
09-13-2004, 05:46 PM
yes, I have a 12 pounder in my car and it makes it a bit uncomfortable.

eclipse2quick21
09-13-2004, 06:09 PM
yes, I have a 12 pounder in my car and it makes it a bit uncomfortable.

what changes? whats uncomfortable if you dont mind me asking.

knorwj
09-13-2004, 08:56 PM
well think about it the point of a lighter flywheel is so that the engine revs quicker unfortunately this means it also drops revs quickly like when you shift, meaning you either have to bring the rpms up higher to shift or deal with rough shifts, also the flywheel is made to hold the inertia of the engine for smoother shifteing. aother thing is you have to give it more gas to get it going due to loss of torque. anyway with that light of a flywheel look forward to high revs that drop quickly, and alot of harsh engagement from the clutch.

92acurapower
09-13-2004, 09:07 PM
well think about it the point of a lighter flywheel is so that the engine revs quicker unfortunately this means it also drops revs quickly like when you shift, meaning you either have to bring the rpms up higher to shift or deal with rough shifts, also the flywheel is made to hold the inertia of the engine for smoother shifteing. aother thing is you have to give it more gas to get it going due to loss of torque. anyway with that light of a flywheel look forward to high revs that drop quickly, and alot of harsh engagement from the clutch.

will this still occur if you add another clutch. i'm going to add a stage 1 or 2 clutch with the lighter flywheel and i'm going to be using the car for daily driving but will i to deal with after affects of the lighter flywheel.

eclipse2quick21
09-13-2004, 09:33 PM

ahhh yes this is true. thanks for clarifying that. did you feel any difference with the 12 pound? im now thinking about maybe around a 13 pound, maybe 12. how much does our stock one weigh?

knorwj
09-13-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm not positive but I think stock is 14 or 16? not sure.

My setup is a ACT clutch (pretty much basic first up from stock, so I suppose stage 1, but every company goes by different standards of stages) and streetlite 12.5lb. chromoly flywheel.

Its not bad to drive in stop and go, I have taken through the bronx with it and its not bad but it is noticably different than stock. Like I said ealier it takes a bit more gas to get her going cuz it will bog at the rpm you are used to going at and it has a slightly more harsh engagement.

for street use I would not go to the 8lb flywheel, I would stick to a 12 or 13 lb and as far as clutches go I would not go beyond a stage 2. Now if you spend alot of time at the track and racing but still want a streetable car AND make alot of power maybe try stage 3 or so, but if it is a daily driver I would stick to 1 or 2. I wouldn't even bother with ceramic clutches or 6-puck ones. try and stay with organic friction discs as it will engage nicer than ceramic (harsh race only engagement) clutches

92acurapower
09-13-2004, 09:53 PM
thanks alot now i know. i'm getting cluthmasters stage 2 clutch with a lighter then stock flywheel probably 12 lbs.

knorwj
09-13-2004, 10:04 PM
WAIT read this! This is a quote from a very knowlegable member that I asked when I was in the market for a clutch and flywheel. I just went and searched for this in my PM's so enjoy...

"Well I would recomend the ACT A13-HDSS if you plan on keeping it all motor and the A13-XTSS if you plan on going turbo or nitrous. Try www.groupbuycenter.com (http://www.groupbuycenter.com/) sometimes they have good buys on ACT and BTW ACT's flywheel is alot better than clutchmasters too. Stay away from alum flywheels try to stay with a chromoly flywheel you will be alot more happy with it. Let me know if you need any more help." ~whtteg

I was looking at clutchmasters clutches and aluminum flywheels, he guided me away from that setup, because he had had a similar setup on his car and it was crap.

eclipse2quick21
09-13-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm not positive but I think stock is 14 or 16? not sure.

My setup is a ACT clutch (pretty much basic first up from stock, so I suppose stage 1, but every company goes by different standards of stages) and streetlite 12.5lb. chromoly flywheel.

Its not bad to drive in stop and go, I have taken through the bronx with it and its not bad but it is noticably different than stock. Like I said ealier it takes a bit more gas to get her going cuz it will bog at the rpm you are used to going at and it has a slightly more harsh engagement.

for street use I would not go to the 8lb flywheel, I would stick to a 12 or 13 lb and as far as clutches go I would not go beyond a stage 2. Now if you spend alot of time at the track and racing but still want a streetable car AND make alot of power maybe try stage 3 or so, but if it is a daily driver I would stick to 1 or 2. I wouldn't even bother with ceramic clutches or 6-puck ones. try and stay with organic friction discs as it will engage nicer than ceramic (harsh race only engagement) clutches

when you say bog out, does that mean almost stall? everyone says a lighter flywheel will improve acceleration, so why does it take more gas to get it going than stock? thanks for the help by the way.

92acurapower
09-13-2004, 10:10 PM
ooo ok. i guess im going to do some more research with ACT clutch and flywheel. hey i think your a ACT employee just trying to sell your product lol just kiding. thanks for the info i will be looking at ACT. im going all motor also so the info helped.

knorwj
09-13-2004, 10:21 PM
when you say bog out, does that mean almost stall? everyone says a lighter flywheel will improve acceleration, so why does it take more gas to get it going than stock? thanks for the help by the way.

well it helps acceleration by being able to rev quicker. but from a dig you will need to launch a little higher to make up for the loss of engine inertia.

when you let a clutch out the flywheels inertia and the combustion inside the engine is what gets you moving, the less flywheel inertia the more gas you need to get the car to move, its kinda like stored energy. see you need either that inertia to start you moving or more rpms, take away flywheel inertia you will have to add rpms, its all in balance so when you install it you will need to find a new balance.

The inertia thing comes into play more with launches than it does with acceleration, thats why people say it helps acceleration, because once you are moving then yes you will more than likely accelerate a bit quicker because now it takes less combustion to spin the weight of the flywheel (cuz its lighter).

eclipse2quick21
09-13-2004, 10:38 PM
well it helps acceleration by being able to rev quicker. but from a dig you will need to launch a little higher to make up for the loss of engine inertia.

when you let a clutch out the flywheels inertia and the combustion inside the engine is what gets you moving, the less flywheel inertia the more gas you need to get the car to move, its kinda like stored energy. see you need either that inertia to start you moving or more rpms, take away flywheel inertia you will have to add rpms, its all in balance so when you install it you will need to find a new balance.

The inertia thing comes into play more with launches than it does with acceleration, thats why people say it helps acceleration, because once you are moving then yes you will more than likely accelerate a bit quicker because now it takes less combustion to spin the weight of the flywheel (cuz its lighter).

allright thanks for everything bro

knorwj
09-13-2004, 10:40 PM
no problem man, just hope I didn't confuse you with that last one, I started confusing myself so I stopped talking haha.

integralover
09-14-2004, 01:08 AM
wow i have an ACT 12lb flywheel and i have just learned something new for the day. thnx knorwj

tsugsr
09-14-2004, 08:41 AM
just FYI, the stocker is about 18 pounds, its heavy, thats the GSR, LS and RS and what not, the stock one on the type R is about 14 pounds.

knorwj
09-14-2004, 10:28 AM
18lbs, thanks man, I thought it may have been 18 but it sounded heavy to me so I said 14 or 16, thanks for clearing it up.

mellowboy
09-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Its weighs around there. Last time i checked i believe my stock flywheel was 22 lbs? The type r weighs 11-12lbs ppl. If you dont want to spend much then type r flywheel is your best deal. 8lbs is just too damn light. Try goin up on a hill with it and u'll see that the disc wont catch quickly.

Add your comment to this topic!