Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Rodeo - Host of Problems

Starkeralssie
09-12-2004, 08:55 PM
I just inherited a very low mileage 1994 Rodeo. I mostly love this new truck except that it has a few problems that are driving me crazy. Not being all that familiar with the Rodeos or Isuzu's build quality, I was wondering if anyone has had any of the similar problems and or suggestions on what may be the problem?

I appreciate the help in advance.

1. The front passenger window won't go down - from the driver's side or the passenger's side. No noise, no nothing.

2. The driver's side rear door won't open. The doors unlock fine, but I can't pull it open.

3. The buttons that operate the rear wiper and the t-gate opener don't seem to work. I don't know if this is just a switch, fuse or what, and if this is in anyway connected to problems 4 and 5.

4. The rear window doesn't seem to latch shut. It's not a huge problem because the rear wiper keeps the window pretty tightly closed, but it is sort of annoying.

5. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to open the wheel gate. I pulled on what I think is the right lever, but it won't disengage and swing open, and I've been forced to load the back area through the passenger rear door. The lock on the rear door is also permanently popped out (as opposed to flush with the door) and I'm not sure if any or all of that is related.

6. I'm having intermittent problems with the lock tumbler on the drivers door side. Sometimes it is very hard to turn and other times it turns easily. Does it just need some lock lube or are the tumblers problematic on these models.

It was given a mechanical clean bill of health, but these little functional issues are driving me a little nutty. Are these common problems and/or has anyone run across anything like any of these?

I figured I'd try here before dishing out a ton of cash to a mechanic.

Oh, and does anyone know how to set the radio clock? : )

CocaColaEatsPie
09-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Alright I'll do my best to answer your questions...

1. take off the door passenger side door pannel, its not very complicated, especially if you have power windows. Then check all the wires going to the window motor.

2. I actually had this problem with my rear door on my rodeo, mine didn't not open, but it took a few tries. Again take of the door pannel and check all the linkage. You should be able to bend one of the bars to get it to open right, but I'm not SURE of that.

3. I don't really have an answer here, I didn't have power anything, so there were no buttons to control anything, Check the fuses and take the buttons out and check all the wire connections

4. Not really sure about this either, you can take off the inner pannel and check all the linkage and wires. again, just a guess.

5. there is a lever there, you probably were pulling the right thing, just pull really hard and if that doesn't work it could be rusted shut or something.

6. Not really sure, again I didn't have power anything. You could try to take the pannel off and check all the link rods, one could be lose.

And the clock I don't really know, I didn't have the stock radio. Try holding set or something to that effect.

also picking up a Chilton wouldn't hurt. It tells you where all the screws and bolts and crap are to get to everything.

Hope this helps a little. If you have any specific questions, I have a Chilton and could probably look anything up that you need

bosshogg
10-13-2004, 09:22 PM
1) Do the other windows work fine? If so, then it's probably the power window motor...

2) My rear passenger door did the same thing. I could only open if I manually locked it, then unlocked it. Now it just doesn't lock at all :-(
I need to take the door apart and fix it...

3) Might be a fuse.

4) I've had problems with the remote rear hatch release button and being able to close the rear window. I tried taking the tailgate apart one time to fix it, but I think it's just a poor design. I would try pressing the rear hatch release button a few times to try and jar the mechanism back in place. Sometime it would take lots of attempts at closing the hatch hard, but eventually it would latch, then I would never use the remote hatch release again. I haven't had a problem with the hatch since not using the hatch release button on the dash. Also, if your rear wiper is up against the glass holding it closed, then the wiper is not parked, and that would make slamming the hatch closed difficult...

5) There's two levers on the rear tire mount. One lever on the right side of the spare is for releasing the tire mount from the tailgate. The other lever on the left side of the tire is for unlocking the tire mount, when you open it more than 90 degrees, when trying to close it again.

6) I'd get some graphite for the lock. Home Depot or Lowes should have it in their door hardware aisle. Spray some graphite in the lock try unlocking and locking a few times, spray some more graphite and repeat a few times...

Hope that helps.

Bob

I just inherited a very low mileage 1994 Rodeo. I mostly love this new truck except that it has a few problems that are driving me crazy. Not being all that familiar with the Rodeos or Isuzu's build quality, I was wondering if anyone has had any of the similar problems and or suggestions on what may be the problem?

I appreciate the help in advance.

1. The front passenger window won't go down - from the driver's side or the passenger's side. No noise, no nothing.

2. The driver's side rear door won't open. The doors unlock fine, but I can't pull it open.

3. The buttons that operate the rear wiper and the t-gate opener don't seem to work. I don't know if this is just a switch, fuse or what, and if this is in anyway connected to problems 4 and 5.

4. The rear window doesn't seem to latch shut. It's not a huge problem because the rear wiper keeps the window pretty tightly closed, but it is sort of annoying.

5. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to open the wheel gate. I pulled on what I think is the right lever, but it won't disengage and swing open, and I've been forced to load the back area through the passenger rear door. The lock on the rear door is also permanently popped out (as opposed to flush with the door) and I'm not sure if any or all of that is related.

6. I'm having intermittent problems with the lock tumbler on the drivers door side. Sometimes it is very hard to turn and other times it turns easily. Does it just need some lock lube or are the tumblers problematic on these models.

It was given a mechanical clean bill of health, but these little functional issues are driving me a little nutty. Are these common problems and/or has anyone run across anything like any of these?

I figured I'd try here before dishing out a ton of cash to a mechanic.

Oh, and does anyone know how to set the radio clock? : )

Starkeralssie
10-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Thanks Bob. I did graphite the lock a while back and it's been great ever since.

I know that the wiper isn't really in the right place - I'm assuming the person who owned it before me bent it up a little to keep the back window closed. I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace that whole latch back there - I'll put it on the list.

I'm so nervous to screw aorund with the rear door because I don't want to open it and then not be able to shut it.

And thanks for the other info. Looks like I'm gonna' have to break down and bring it to the dealership. Grrr.

:swear:

1) Do the other windows work fine? If so, then it's probably the power window motor...

2) My rear passenger door did the same thing. I could only open if I manually locked it, then unlocked it. Now it just doesn't lock at all :-(
I need to take the door apart and fix it...

3) Might be a fuse.

4) I've had problems with the remote rear hatch release button and being able to close the rear window. I tried taking the tailgate apart one time to fix it, but I think it's just a poor design. I would try pressing the rear hatch release button a few times to try and jar the mechanism back in place. Sometime it would take lots of attempts at closing the hatch hard, but eventually it would latch, then I would never use the remote hatch release again. I haven't had a problem with the hatch since not using the hatch release button on the dash. Also, if your rear wiper is up against the glass holding it closed, then the wiper is not parked, and that would make slamming the hatch closed difficult...

5) There's two levers on the rear tire mount. One lever on the right side of the spare is for releasing the tire mount from the tailgate. The other lever on the left side of the tire is for unlocking the tire mount, when you open it more than 90 degrees, when trying to close it again.

6) I'd get some graphite for the lock. Home Depot or Lowes should have it in their door hardware aisle. Spray some graphite in the lock try unlocking and locking a few times, spray some more graphite and repeat a few times...

Hope that helps.

Bob

anthonyn
10-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Regarding the setting the clock - this is copied from another board:

"Press the Preset station button (PROG [1] or APS [2]) while pressing and holding the RECALL [DISP] button. Press PROG [1] to advance hours. Press ASP [2] to advance minutes."

MrMGA
10-15-2004, 04:41 AM
Regarding the setting the clock - this is copied from another board:

"Press the Preset station button (PROG [1] or APS [2]) while pressing and holding the RECALL [DISP] button. Press PROG [1] to advance hours. Press ASP [2] to advance minutes."

These instructions may apply to newer models or higher end units. I don't have some of those buttons. On my '95 Rodeo with the standard (I think) AM/FM cassette player, I hold down the "Station/Clock" button and press the "Tune/Seek" button.

Starkeralssie
10-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks to both of you. I actually replaced the radio, so that wasn't an issue for me anymore.

:smile:

Pakeboy2
12-27-2004, 09:00 PM
For the rear window to latch shut, you have to reposition the window latch slightly crooked...I just did it to my daughters 95 Passport and it latches securely now.

Canucklehead
12-28-2004, 07:32 AM

These three items are likely releated.

First of all, the rear wiper will not operate if the reat window isn't latched. Having the rear window unlatched opens the ground path for the rear wiper relay.

The other button you are refering to doesn't open the tailgate, it unlatches the rear window. The rear lock that is "popped out" is supposed to be like that. You can lock it and the button will depress but not unlatch the rear window and therefore you can't lower the tailgate, once it's unlocked pushing it in will unlatch the rear window.

To get the rear wiper to stow try pushing the rear window shut, it may not latch but it might close the switch thus allowing the wiper to complete it's cycle. Otherwise your best bet is to remove the rear wiper arm to get it out of your way until you figure out what the problem is.

Add your comment to this topic!