Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Windsheild Wipers

amtm
09-12-2004, 12:58 PM
this problem started recently my wind sheild wipers quit working and I check all the fuses and everything looks good I got them to work one time by moving them back and forth and they started working but after about 2 days they won't work anymore I was wondering if it was a problem with the windsheild wiper motor or if there was a switch anybody have any suggestion please let me know thank you indvanced

lvinnie
09-12-2004, 07:44 PM
I had the same problem with my 98 Jimmy and used the advice in

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic257868.htm

Scroll down to: Jeremy-WI
You can remove the circuit board and fix it yourself with a soldering iron. All you do is heat up the solder where the connector meets the circuit board. The five solder joints are circled in this picture: http://www.mhtc.net/~jbomkamp/wiper.jpg

Worked for me, been running fine since I resoldered the board.

Vinnie

xokayxo
11-28-2004, 08:04 PM
I'd like to say I've got the same problem but I can't. My wipers just go wacky. I turn it so they just cycle once and they stay on for a minute. I turn it so they cycle on the slowest interval and they work fine for about 3 cycles then start going at the "Lo" (next to "Hi") speed for about 5 cycles then go back to the slowest interval setting. Very random. And sometimes they won't shut off after I turn the knob to the "Off" position. They cycle 10 or so more times then they stop in mid-wipe (very distracting and frustrating!!). Would re-soldering the circuit board fix this problem?

lvinnie
11-29-2004, 04:34 PM
I'd like to say I've got the same problem but I can't. My wipers just go wacky. I turn it so they just cycle once and they stay on for a minute. I turn it so they cycle on the slowest interval and they work fine for about 3 cycles then start going at the "Lo" (next to "Hi") speed for about 5 cycles then go back to the slowest interval setting. Very random. And sometimes they won't shut off after I turn the knob to the "Off" position. They cycle 10 or so more times then they stop in mid-wipe (very distracting and frustrating!!). Would re-soldering the circuit board fix this problem?

I would give it a try, It's really a simple job of soldering the board.
Vinnie

tpjb
11-30-2004, 07:58 AM
xokayxo,

let me know if soldering on a new circuit board helps because I have the same problem with my wiper. it seems like they have a mind of their own.

JimB442
12-01-2004, 05:08 PM
not sure if this is the problem....but I had what a friend of mine called a dead spot in a rear wiper motor on an Explorer. It happened on his explorer a few times and on mine only happened once but I didn't own the vehicle that long. Just stopped working and was in the rest position. Turned the wipers on and gave it a bit of a tug which in theory will turn the wiper motor a slight bit....idea being, it may move the motor beyond the dead spot. Worked for me although I do not have a cure. Replace the motor I guess.

dahoss
12-19-2004, 03:05 PM
I had the same problem on my 97 Jimmy. I don't know if you're aware that there is a factory recall on the circuit board. I brought my vehicle to the dealer and they had it fixed in 30 minutes while i waited. Never a problem since.

leeder70
12-19-2004, 10:23 PM
i had the same problem on my 98 jimmy and yes it was the circuit board on it too. went to the local junk yard bought a whole new motor for 10 bucks and all i done was pull out the old circuit board and put the new one in. was very easy to do.

Add your comment to this topic!