Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wipers won't park

dinamobuc
09-11-2004, 04:09 PM
My winshield wipers don't want to park anymore.Did anyone have this problem and if so, what did you do? :screwy:

KJRich
09-14-2004, 08:44 PM
This started happening on my dad's '98 Venture. Tap the wiper motor with a hammer and try turning them on/off again. This worked for a while with my dad's, but then the motor went bad. We ended up putting a new wiper motor on, but then you have to be careful lining up the wiper linkage on the motor to get it to park correctly. It was easy for me, as I parked my wife's '99 beside it so I could look and see exactly how it went.

leblancch
09-21-2004, 02:29 AM
I had this same problem with mine. Occasionally mine would park and I tried to leave them that way when they did. It only seemed to park properly when it was raining which was sort of frustrating as I couldn't leave them parked.

It turns out, I just had to grease the motor. There is a little pin that wouldn't release. I did this 4 months ago. still working great.

worm6
09-21-2004, 05:11 PM
hey there friends. i bought my 2000 montan as a bank repo and the day i pick up the wipers are sticking straight in air. i was told they sell a 108 dollar kit to replace the circuit board. now this didnt work for me but something to keep in mind. after getting mad by wasting the money i noticed on top of motor a connector of clip wiggled a little wippers work perfect now going on a year. good luck

richtazz
09-23-2004, 12:15 PM
grease the pivot points on the wiper transmission, if tht doesn't work, you need a new wiper motor, as they don't offer a pulse board separately.

Bob D
10-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks!...all of this has been very good information, here's some more,
I replaced the motor which I purchased from RockAuto.com, when you
installed the CRANK place it were the LINK end is directly over the
screw at the 3 o'clock poistion, this is were it needs to be for the
wipers to park.

benjisdad
11-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Had the identical problem on my 2001 Venture. In my case it happened on a cold day when the wipers had iced up after a large snowfall. The wipers wouldn't retract down to park, instead they went all the way out until they pointed straight up. The dealership wanted to replace both the motor and the bracket, at a cost of $300. Of course, it was just off warranty.

The problem in my case was a combination of two things: The first was a bent tab that the motor uses to park against, the second was the spring loaded pawl that latches against it was sticking.

The motor parks the wipers by reversing a half turn from the idle position. While the motor is making the half turn backwards, the spring loaded pawl catches the tab and forces the bracket holding the arms to engage like a cam and pull the wipers down to the park position. If the pawl fails to catch the metal tab, either because the pawl is sticking, or if the tab is bent, the wipers will park out all the way (straight up and at the end of their travel to the edge of the windshield.

I bent the tab back up straight and lubricated the pawl, and it has worked fine ever since.

jamx13
02-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Had the identical problem on my 2001 Venture. In my case it happened on a cold day when the wipers had iced up after a large snowfall. The wipers wouldn't retract down to park, instead they went all the way out until they pointed straight up.

The motor parks the wipers by reversing a half turn from the idle position. While the motor is making the half turn backwards, the spring loaded pawl catches the tab and forces the bracket holding the arms to engage like a cam and pull the wipers down to the park position. If the pawl fails to catch the metal tab, either because the pawl is sticking, or if the tab is bent, the wipers will park out all the way (straight up and at the end of their travel to the edge of the windshield.

I bent the tab back up straight and lubricated the pawl, and it has worked fine ever since.

My Venture just started doing the same thing & just like your's, it began on a cold day after some heavy snow. It's supposed to warm up (40s) this weekend & I'm planning to have a look to see what can be done. I know the wiper motor is on the passenger side & it's hidden by a plastic "flap". Where exactly is this tab & pawl? Is it accessable without removing the motor?

Thanks for any replies.

Bob D
02-04-2005, 05:26 PM
My Venture just started doing the same thing & just like your's, it began on a cold day after some heavy snow. It's supposed to warm up (40s) this weekend & I'm planning to have a look to see what can be done. I know the wiper motor is on the passenger side & it's hidden by a plastic "flap". Where exactly is this tab & pawl? Is it accessable without removing the motor?

Thanks for any replies.

Mind has done it again!...If you have ice or snow on your van this will
happen....as soon as it get's warm I'm going to reset the cam.
This is located underneath the black cover, just pull up on it and you
will see it, directly behind the battery, easy to get to for repair.

phipps
06-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Resurrecting a thread.....

My wipers are not parking on my 2001 Chevy Venture. I took a look and the spring loaded cam is not engaging the tab to park the wipers when you turn them off. If I put the wipers on intermittent and turn the key off when they are in the idle position, manually move the cam into position, turn the wipers to off and turn the key back on they will then park. I have tried spraying everything with WD40 but it seems like the spring that is supposed to press the cam against the tab isn't doing it's job. Is it possible a piece has broken off the cam?

Any ideas other than replacing the whole assembly? What is the assembly even called if I call about trying to obtain a replacement?

DRW1000
06-04-2006, 08:44 PM
First thing I would try is a spray White Grease on all the contact surfaces.
WD40 is a great product for getting things "unstuck" but it really isn't a great lubricant for this application.

frtransinc
08-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Same problem happend on my 2000 venture, I will try to explain this the best I can but I know its not likely to sound the way you are suppose to do it. What you need to do is use a screw driver to put the spring loaded stop in the correct "down " position. Mine were stopping about 5 inches up. so I used a screw driver to hold the stop in the correct position then pushed the wiper all the way down (about 5 inches) when I did this I then took the screw driver out of where it was holding the spring and it caught in the down position. then I tested it a few times and everything seemed to be ok. Hope that helps. if your not sure what Im talkin about then I would suggest fiddling with the stop until you do what I tried to describe...

pokerman11
08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Mine was parking in the wrong spot. It was parking with the blades straight up. I took everything about - could not locate this "tab" people talk about. The motor seemed fine

Anyway I took it to a local shop.

At the shop they told me that it was the computer that controls the wiper and it needed to be reset.

They did the reset by a series of codes off/on/delay or whatever.

Now it works fine.

I am still looking to get a copy of these codes. Anybody have these codes?

Add your comment to this topic!