Avital 6500-'97 Civic Remote Start

Ebranste
02-10-2002, 05:12 AM
I hope someone can answer this question for me. I installed an Avital 6500 about 6 months back and for the life of me, I couldn't get the remote start feature to work.

The rest of the alarm works fine and this isn't my first alarm install. I learned from some professional buddies in my old city before I moved, but this is my first install on a Civic using a remote start alarm

The rest of the alarm works perfectly. Ive got the every other feature working flawlessly and the starter kill even functions as it should, but no remote start :(

When I hit the remote start, the ignition wire goes hot, the parking light flash, then nothing, then the cycle repeats 3 or 4 times.....I can;t remember. I've tried varying the wiring thinking I must have gotton the starter wire mixed up somewhere, but no other configuration I've tried produces a single crank and also leaves my starter kill inoperable.

If anyone out there has presonally installed an Avital 6500 or 6501 on a 6G Civic, I could really use your help to get my remote start issue solved.

Also , before I forget to mention.....I realize the clutch has to be depressed to start the engine, but the same behavior occurs when I sit in the car holding in the clutch when attempting to remote start.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Tireburner
02-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Is the Violet out of the satellite relay throwing 12v + shortly after ignition is turned on? Are you sure you have the Violet going to the starter motor side of the starter wire? Yellow goes to the key side.

Ebranste
02-11-2002, 11:36 AM
I'll double check that.

Do I need to use that 3rd ignition wire for anything, or is it for other cars?

Tireburner
02-11-2002, 11:46 AM
In the 97 Civic there are only 2 ign wires

black/yellow
and
yellow

So third ign would not be used.

The Grey acc. output from the 6500 would go to the white/black in the vehicle.

Ebranste
02-14-2002, 03:06 PM
argh, so would I need to use both ignition wires in hte car to make the remote starter work?

The starter wire I'm using is the black/white.....

Do I connect anything to the yellow or leave it be?

Tireburner
02-14-2002, 03:22 PM
One of the pinks off of the satellite relay pack of the 6500 goes to the Black/ Yellow ignition one wire in the vehicle

The other Pink from the satellite relay pack goes to the Yellow wire in the vehicle

The Yellow wire from the satellite relay pack goes to the key cylinder sider of the cut Black / White wire in the vehicle

The Violet wire from the satellite relay pack goes to the starter motor side of the cut Black / White wire in the vehicle

The Grey wire from the satellite relay pack goes to the White / Black wire in the vehicle.

All those must be hooked up before you can proceed.

Ebranste
02-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Yup, I've definately got this thing wired wrong then...

I'll rewire it tomorrow afternoon and post the results. Thanks alot man for the detailed info.

Ebranste
02-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Tireburner, I checked my wiring and it turns out that with the exception of the grey wire, I have everyhting else connected right. Still, I connected the grey wire which I had previously left alone andthe remote start will not operate still.

I'll detail my wiring:

There are 3 pinks total, 1 18 guage and 2 14 gauge. I have the 18 guage and 1 14 gauge connected to the black/yellow per the instructions in the book. Then I have the other 14 gauge connected to the yellow ier.

I know this does differ from what is posted, but when I disconnect 1 14 gauge from the black/yellow or disconnect the 14 guage from the yellow, I still get the same result.

I am usiang a black/white wire as the starter wire and just to be sure I got the key side/starter side correct, I've even tried reversing the 2, but no effect.

In response to the violet getting 12V shortly after the key is to ignition, it does not. It does get 12V when I crank the engine or activate the remote start.

What I think may be the problem is the black.white wire I'm using as the starter wire. I found an easily accessible din right in from of the fuse box that passes under the steering column and in it are 4 wires, 2 of which are black/white. They are identical and I simply chose one of them. What I'm thinking is that if I choose the correct black/white wire, and cut it, the car simply will not crank at all. So I had cut this wire and that's what happenned. I found another black/white wire way up that does seem to go to the key cylinder, but its not as accessible. I dont think it should matter because cutting this black/white that I used disabled the starter, so it should work with this wire. This wire does get 12V, but only when I crank the engine.

Do you know any sites that have pics of the remote starter install on a 6G civic or maybe someone has a pic they can post so I know I'm using the correct or compatible black/white?

Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated at this point. I don't want to out the dash back together until this is ffigured out.

Tireburner
02-19-2002, 08:23 AM
Ebranste

The black/white wire you describe is correct, just as long as you are making sure to press in the clutch when you are making sure the car won't crank with the key.

Unfortunately, we just recently started taking pictures of vehicles, and the Civic isn't one that we have pictures on yet.

On the 12 pin harness of the 6500 is a grey/black wire. You will want to take that wire to the clutch switch. The clutch switch is a two pin switch attached to the clutch pedal frame. There is a blue/black and a solid black wire there. Attach the grey/black from the 6500 to the blue/black at the clutch switch. MAKE SURE THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL!!!!!!!!!! Then hit remote start and tell me what happens.

Be patient, I will get you through this!!!

Ebranste
02-19-2002, 04:39 PM
OK, here's the results TB, I connected the gray avital wire to the white/black and now I have accessory power when in pit stop mode, so I'm happy about that. I did test out the remoet start while holding in the clutch as well.

I think I may be on to something though. According to the Avital manula, to test for ignition wires, you are supposed to look for wires that see 12V when in the ON, and CRANK position. The black/yellow wore does see 12V at these positions, but the yellow does not. All the wiring codes I've seen online say this is an ignition wire, but it does not seem to follow the behavior that Avital says it should.

To test this, I used the PI STOP feature of the alarm which has worked since day 1. When I disconnect the 14 gauge PINK from the vehicle's YELLOW, pit stop mode still works and I get hte same behavior when attempting remote start.

Maybe this helps out and maybe it doesn't, but I think it gets me closer to the final goal. I'm going to go back and start probing wires for anoher ignition wire.

ICQ me or something please. Waiting for email notification is so frustrating.

Ebranste
02-19-2002, 08:33 PM
OK, I did some tinkering with the multimeter and I got it working.

ok, so the problem was just that the relay I found with the 2 black/white wires was the starter cut relay, which I guess is in every 6G civic woth manual transmission, regardless of whether or not keyless entry came equipped with the car.

I unplugged thee connector form the relay and noticed that each black/white wire got 12V when the key was used to crank the engine, but only 1 of them got 12V from the purple when I attempted to remote start.

So like duh!, I wasn't lighting both wires. when I spliced the other pink into the other black/white on this relay, the remote start worked.

also, according to Helm's, the black/red coming off the relay goes directly to the starter and doesn't even pass by the clutch switch, so I rewired the black/white that I cut in half and used the black/red instead.

Success is achieved. It looks like all those wiring diagrams out there are for automatic trannys, as the autos did not come with this relay, which is what I think was the problem all along. I used a different wire and it works like a charm now.

I do have another problem with the dome light though. I'll start a new thread for it sometime tomorrow. After I get that wired up right, the alarm will be working 100%.

Tireburner
02-20-2002, 08:16 AM
Congrats!!

If you have any further problems let me know. When you start a new post, e-mail me. I can't use the ICQ here at work.

Generally the blk/red is a bitch to access, so I never brought that up. Glad you found it, because as you said, you don't have to deal with the clutch bypass swith.

Add your comment to this topic!