Will split air intake hose cause car to stall and/or not start?

SultanS
09-11-2004, 02:02 PM
My car ('94 Eagle Talon DL 1.8L) recently died on me. I heard a poof kind of sound then lost power and the car cut off. When I looked at the engine I saw that my air intake hose was split practically in half.

Would this cause the car not to start?

I am getting electricity and the car sounds like it wants to start but it just won't catch. Do you think it is the broken air intake hose that is the problem?

Thanks,
Sultan

helliviknow
09-11-2004, 02:41 PM
im wornderig what in the world split your intake tube in two.. im not sure what it could be unless somehow you got that backfire into the intke crap.. is ur filter burnt? i have no clue what it is but i dunt see how a cracked intake hose would cause it not to start.. you should be able to start it with no intake hose on... not smart, but should be able to..

SultanS
09-11-2004, 03:27 PM
There was some oil inside the hose that may have caused it to wear out. A gentleman at the Auto Parts store did tell me that if the hose was broken that it could make the car not start because a a certain amount of vacuum pressure that is required for the car to run. The filter had some oil on it too.

JoeWagon
09-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Yes, if you have a stock MAS, and air is entering after it.. the car will run poorly.

helliviknow
09-11-2004, 05:29 PM
ok so duct tape the crack real quicka nd see if that helps.. if it does either use more duct tape lol.. or get a new pipe or one of those $20 ebay intakes will work comes with a filter n all..

SultanS
09-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Yes, if you have a stock MAS, and air is entering after it.. the car will run poorly.

What is a stock MAS?

LOL duct tape...guess I'll try in a few moments. Thanks.

helliviknow
09-11-2004, 06:02 PM
mas is mass air sensor or something of that sort...

hey dunt underestimante the powers of duct tape... lmao u might also try some jb weld on that crack too..

Shpyder
09-12-2004, 05:51 PM
MAS...the computer thing in between the filter cannister and the intake pipe.
Also, seriously, how the hell does a person crack an intake pipe? I have never heard of that before... JB weld on a rubber runer strip or a metal wafer.

1stGenRocks
09-12-2004, 06:09 PM
just duck tape it or buy a hard pipe. but when you get the hard pipe you have to mount you stoc filter housing on the end so you have the mas. without it the car wont run

Add your comment to this topic!