Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1978 Park Avenue

Merlin582
09-11-2004, 02:56 AM
This problem has gotten almost comical on my 1978 PA. The horn quit blowing. I can unplug the horn on the drivers side and plug it back in and they will usually blow one time and quit again. I have removed them both and tested them on the battery and they are in working order. There is a "clicking" sound coming from under the dash when I press the horn button. I have looked at every fuse in the fuse block and checked for fire with a trouble light and it seems to have fire in the required places. It has a anti-thief device, but the horn won't blow when molested. If it were a Ford Model A or an old flathead, I could work on it, but this has gotten me confused. :screwy:

tman
09-11-2004, 12:11 PM
the clicking is the relay, check the connections to the horns themselves, they'll be tucked up under the fenderwells near the headlights

Merlin582
09-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I do, unplug the horn on the fender. I removed both horns and tested them on a battery and they both blow good. I bolt them back on and plug the wire to them and they may blow one time and quit again. Kinda quirkie. I don't know much about it, but I have in my mind the anti theft system. ???

tman
09-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Why do you have an anti-theft system? Who's gonna try to steal a 78 park ave, when theres a 2001 accord next to it in the parking lot?

regardless, unless the security system uses the horn as part of it's alarm, it shouldn't affect anything horn related.

Merlin582
09-11-2004, 05:04 PM
You're right on that statement. Even a Pinto would be more in danger. I didn't put the anti-theft on it, it came that way. It blows the horn when someone tries to break in. Well, it used to. I'll keep tinkering with it. I may stumble on something.

Add your comment to this topic!