Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car stutters

SLVRLTNG
09-10-2004, 07:15 PM
My 95 t-bird has started to "stutter" when driving along at about 40mph. Just coasting along and easing into the throttle the car starts to buck and then goes away. I'm thinking maybe bad fuel or maybe fuel filter. Thanks in advance.....JR

mpyrol
09-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Check engine light on? Symptoms occur before light comes on. Mine started that on many occassions followed by a MIL soon afterward.

SLVRLTNG
09-10-2004, 09:23 PM
No, no light....Car runs great except when lugging anlong or going up a hill. Doesn't matter if it's in 3rd or overdrive..It happens and then stops as soon as you give it a little throttle.....Maybe bad gas, or fuel filter???
I don't think it's the tranny, there are no noises....thanks, JR

flewthecoupe
09-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Pull the codes. There won't necessarily be a MIL lit.

SLVRLTNG
09-11-2004, 12:58 AM
is the 95 OBDII? I have a Diablo hellion scanner that I can use. Where is the port, I never looked for one...Thanks....

solaris=amazing
09-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Let me guess.. it feels like running over a bunch of metal strips?? I think you mean SHUDDER. Sounds like you need a COMPLETE transmission flush..and flush the torque converter also. Refill with mercon V/5. This is most likely the problem, i think.

compewterman
09-11-2004, 11:19 PM
I aggree with solaris... sounds more to me as if trans needs evac.

Figori
09-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Wow... Sounds like I need to flush my tranny out.... Thanks for the info. :)

upl8dave
09-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I have a 97 that did that. I dropped the transmission pan and found a part laying in it. The part was a plug that is installed from the factory to keep debris out during manufacture. The last step they take is to put the dipstick in which pushes the plug into the pan. I removed the plug and changed the trans oil and the stuttering went away.

RickwithaTbird
10-04-2004, 11:07 PM
i agree w/ solaris.. I had the same thing right when I bought mine... I made ford flush and refill my tranny and torque converter, and give me new motor mounts and a tune up all for free... just takes a little persuaion, hehe.. but I think they turned on my check engine light just so id have to go back and pay them to turn it off... jerks.. oh well i just took my check engine light out

Add your comment to this topic!