Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

5 speed manual

aBieker
09-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Has anyone ever tried to drop the 5 speed manual tranny from a Probe GT or MX-6 into a Millenia? Since it's the same engine, does anyone know if it would be a direct bolt-up? And, if so, how much fabrication would be involved in doing so? (I'm thinking here that it's very unlikely that EVERYTHING would line up properly, but aside from cutting a hole for a clutch pedal, what other major modifications would you have to make)?

Slate01
09-11-2004, 12:24 AM
What year / version of millenia do you have? Is it a "millenia S" and what kind of engine do you have? is it the "miller cycle engine"... im just curious

aBieker
09-11-2004, 10:11 AM
No.. it is not the Miller Cycle in the Millenia S... That engine was never put in any other car and since the Millenia was never offered with a manual transmission, no such transmission exists for that engine.
My car has the 2.5 L Mazda K series engine that also was used in the Ford Probe GT, the Mazda Mx-6 V6, and the Mazda 626... perhaps others as well, but those are the ones that come to mind. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone out there with pretty significant knowledge about this engine and these cars, would know if the engine is located in the engine bay in such a way as to allow the automatic tranny to be swapped for a manual. Also, I'm not really sure of the implications of switching to a manual as far as the engine computer is concerned as it might only know how to run the engine when it is in charge of shifting the gears. Another consideration is whether the gearbox could be fit into the Milly and whether the shifter could be located in the same place as the auto shifter in the Milly.

Add your comment to this topic!