Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Convertible top window edging repair

sandy08
09-10-2004, 02:34 PM
The rubber edging around my rear widow is separating from the canvas top of my convertible. Does anyone know how or if this is repairable? Maybe someone who has replaced the rear window? Any suggestions as to who/where I could go for help?

The window is fine and the top is in excelent condition and looks brand new. However, where the window folds across the center the rubber piping/edging that goes around the window opening is separating from the canvas. The window has a zipper on the inside but appears to be glued when you look at it from the outside. I assume this is normal?

I would hate to spend $1200 to replace the whole top when it appears to be only a minor defect. However, I can see that it is growing as I put the top up and down.

Please help. :banghead:

crash8168
09-11-2004, 05:44 PM
the window can be replaced separately. it is not terribly expensive of difficult to replace, its zippered in.

sandy08
09-21-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure if I completely understand how you replace the window.
The window has a zipper around it on the inside. However, this rubber edging seems to be glued/stuck on the window from the outside. Besides, the rubber edging is the trim that goes around the opening in the top for the window. So even if I replace the window I will still have the problem of this edging separating from the canvas top.

As far as the window being in-expensive, I've found that a replacement window is about 1/3-1/2 the cost of the whole top.

Does somebody have the process of how you go about replacing the window? Maybe that would help me understand what I'm seeing here.

crash8168
10-23-2004, 02:35 PM
The rubber edging around the window is actually part of the window not the top. The top tucks down behind it and is glued. A window for an e36 is around a hundred dollars, if you have an e30 its around 300.

Pmack11
11-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I had the same problem...I found an affordable rear zip in window for my 98 E36 at www.emiata.com under 150 bucks with instructions on how to replace it as well....I just did it 2 weeks ago...worked out well--you need 2 people to do it correctly good luck

Add your comment to this topic!