Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Explorer tranny problem

ahoff4821
09-10-2004, 09:21 AM
I wanted to share my experience with some folks that have had similar problems,my wifes 2000 4WD Explorer,started dropping out of converter L/U after driving 8-10 miles,engine RPM would go up about 2000-3000 more,let off the accelerator and it would lock in again.The longer she drove the worse the condition.When I test drove it the OD light flashed on/off.I shut the vehicle off and it reset the ECM,but condition came back.I scanned for codes buck got none,fluid level was good and good color,I checked TPS function and it was good.I read some of the messages that as was posted and I decided to replace the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid and the filter.I checked my Transtar transmission parts book for part number and thought I would order it from Autozone where I work,we cant get it,NAPA cant get it.So I called the local Ford Dealer,they ordered it for me at a cost of $101.00.I installed the new solenoid and filter,new Mercon V and then test drove the vehicle 32 miles and it never dropped once,shift quality even felt better.So I thank you folks for giving me some good ideas.There was no trash in the trans pan and I also checked the valve body bolts to make sure they were tight.The original solenoid part number changed from F77Z7G136AA to XL2Z7G136AA.I did the work myself.I was a service mgr for Chrysler 10 yrs,had my own shop for 3.Been with Autozone for 4 yrs.Let me know if I can help anyone else.Thanks.

P_71287
10-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Hey I have a 1998 SOHC V-6 Automatic Explorer. My tranny has been slipping for a while now but I am stumped and so are some shop owners. It is fine sometimes and other times it slips bad. There are two times I notice it slipping. The first is when going from Park to Reverse, Reverse to Drive, or Drive to Reverse (when stopped obviously). There is a delay then it kicks in, usually pretty hard. The second time is when going between 30mph to 40mph. It revs up the rpms, goes into a neutral state for 2 or 3 seconds sometimes longer, and then it will shift. If I take my foot off the gas it shifts faster usually. Trans fluid is full, I've heard it was the computer in the explorer and it must be reset but I'm not sure. Got any ideas? Costs? Thanks

Mark's Shop
01-26-2005, 08:53 PM
I wanted to share my experience with some folks that have had similar problems,my wifes 2000 4WD Explorer,started dropping out of converter L/U after driving 8-10 miles,engine RPM would go up about 2000-3000 more,let off the accelerator and it would lock in again.The longer she drove the worse the condition.When I test drove it the OD light flashed on/off.I shut the vehicle off and it reset the ECM,but condition came back.I scanned for codes buck got none,fluid level was good and good color,I checked TPS function and it was good.I read some of the messages that as was posted and I decided to replace the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid and the filter.I checked my Transtar transmission parts book for part number and thought I would order it from Autozone where I work,we cant get it,NAPA cant get it.So I called the local Ford Dealer,they ordered it for me at a cost of $101.00.I installed the new solenoid and filter,new Mercon V and then test drove the vehicle 32 miles and it never dropped once,shift quality even felt better.So I thank you folks for giving me some good ideas.There was no trash in the trans pan and I also checked the valve body bolts to make sure they were tight.The original solenoid part number changed from F77Z7G136AA to XL2Z7G136AA.I did the work myself.I was a service mgr for Chrysler 10 yrs,had my own shop for 3.Been with Autozone for 4 yrs.Let me know if I can help anyone else.Thanks.
There are basically 4 different PCM computers for that year EXP W/4.0L SOHC, 5R55E tranny. All 4 can be purchased at NAPA for $150.00 ea. Just give them the code off the label partially sticking out of the firewall where the wires connect. Also tranny wholesalers such as "Whatever It Takes Tansmissions" have that selenoid (TCC) for $57.00. SS1,2,3,and 4 (identical) go for $52.00 ea. EPC is under $60.00 (can't remember exact amount). MerCon V Tranny fluid goes for $8.00 per gal.

2001Sport_Traccer
01-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Out of curiosity, P_71287 , what was the mileage when that began?

Add your comment to this topic!