Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

High Voltage???

fatjay
09-09-2004, 01:26 PM
okay, so i have an 89 beretta, which are pretty similar to corsica's so i hope you guys can help. A few weeks ago my voltameter started reading 18 volts (it was pegged out). The check engine light came on, so i hooked a scanner up to it and got a "high voltage" code. About 2 days after it started doing this, my battery died. So i got a new battery and replaced the alternater. It ran great for about a week, the volts were reading about 14.2-14.4, right were the should be. Then it started doing the same thing again, my voltameter was reading 18 volts. "High Voltage" code again. i didnt want to fry the battery or the computer so i parked the car and havent driven it since. that was almost a week ago.

My question is: Why is my alternator over charging? its less than 2 weeks old. Could it be a short or a bad ground connection??? at this rate, i'm going to have to replace the battery and alternator every 2 weeks, and i cant afford to keep doing this! P.S. it also seems to drain the battery even when the car isnt running.

Kooterskkar
09-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a problem with the voltage regulator. Thing is, the regulator, is in the alternator. So with a new alternator the problem should have been fixed, but apperenlty it came back. If I were you id start looking for a short between the battery and the alternator. Start with the wire that runs from the alternator to the starter and then to the battery.

fatjay
09-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanx, i'll check that out!

Add your comment to this topic!