Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 grand am brake probs... Damn Vibration

FrankNbeans
09-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Hey guys.. my girl friend has a 99 grand am.. .and every 8 months it gets that damn vibration i nthe front...

shitty gm rotors....

what is a replacement for the rotors that will not have this prob...
I dont want to spend a lot of money on them... just want a pair that will last more than a year!

richtazz
09-09-2004, 01:04 PM
when replacing rotors, make sure to torque the lug nuts to spec. uneven lug nut torque can contort the rotor, causing a vibration. Also, is your girlfriend a late stopper?? These cars are a little underbraked, and if she's the type that waits to the last second, then stands on the pedal, you'll be replacing them again soon, no matter what brand/type you buy.

FrankNbeans
09-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Dont think it is the lugs... becuase the car runs fine every time i put new rotors on. Only a couple months later does it start to shake again.. And the rotors need turned every time it starts doing that... or new ones

richtazz
09-10-2004, 10:50 AM
what will happen with the lugs is this. As the rotors go thru various heat cylces, the uneven torque will cause them to cool and contract down unevenly, causing warpage. Unless your girlfriend is really hard on brakes, I would bet that this is your problem. It can take quite a few heat/cool cycles before the warpage will occur, that's why they are fine when new and get progressively worse.

Add your comment to this topic!