Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amigo Timing Belt Issue

cephlon
09-09-2004, 01:33 AM
I have 98 Amigo, 4 cyc. I like the car and want to keep it but...
2 months ago my timing belt broke, which I found out later was recalled. This is no big deal, but it bent my valves. When the mechanic told me this I thought he was crazy, but I did some searching on the internet and I guess this is a common problem with the 2.2 liter eng. It cost me $2000 to fix. Its only worth maybe 5k at the most. I would like to keep the car, but I'm afraid that if the water pump seizes (a common enough problem) or a pully breaks or the timing belt goes again, my valves will be bent again.

Has anyone had experiense with this? Is there anything I can do about it to prevent this from happening again?

2eyefishclaw
09-09-2004, 06:52 PM
get a new waterpump installed.
Dont let anyone sell you a head, just get the valves replaced it will be much cheaper

2eyefishclaw
09-09-2004, 06:56 PM
get a new waterpump installed.
Dont let anyone sell you a head, just get the valves replaced it will be much cheaper the valves are appx. $36 each and you should only tneed the intake valves exhaust normally dont hit head gasket I belive is somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 water pump about $200 coolant $10 thats about $500 in parts at $70 per hr labor should be about $700 total should be about $12,000
good luck

Add your comment to this topic!