Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to maintain the RX7

89tracerman
09-09-2004, 12:01 AM
ok i heard the most important thing is to check the water and oil every week and i also read that u r suposed to let your engine warm up. but for how long? do i need 2 know some thing important about the car so i wont kill it? and is there a way to get more power from a rotery with out going broke? :1zhelp:

D3rELiC
09-10-2004, 08:13 PM
tell us what car you have,
check the oil every fuel fill up. you can also do a safety premix.
a redline a day keeps the rebuilt away. (it makes me feel ok too)

89tracerman
09-12-2004, 01:06 PM
i drive an 87 N/A, safety premix?

NuTbAgSaN
09-12-2004, 03:44 PM
sorry to somewhat hijack, but i got a bit of a prob relating to this.
this car i got was owned most of its life by an old lady, and has almost NEVER been redlined, and apprently has some sticking or something causing the 5th and 6th ports not to open all the way? so what to do?
:icon16:

D3rELiC
09-12-2004, 04:00 PM
there should be a lack of power on your cars at arround 3800 rpm. this is a ground problem,

for the 5-6th ports not opening, this is a frequent problem.
i never had to face both of the situation but i know theres enough stuff to read about on the rx7club.com

heres the airpump secondary activation how to thread, in the archived section : http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=330310

heres the grounding (3800 rpm hesitation) thread
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=199558

NuTbAgSaN
09-12-2004, 04:13 PM
very helpful, again!
as for the hesitation, would that be on start up? because i think i got that too. it idles high when it first starts, but if i give it a little gas it idles fine.
i havnt drivin enough yet to notice anything when its going, but would that be related at all?

< *cough THREAD HIJACKER...sorry hahahahahaha :rofl:

D3rELiC
09-12-2004, 04:19 PM
the idle is the pollution control that raise the temperature of the cats to give them full capacity of emission cleaning. theres chips sold, i dont remember where, that remove some of the original ecu's fonction. try to do a search.

NuTbAgSaN
09-12-2004, 04:23 PM
icic...thanks again! :biggrin: im done

MBTN
09-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Let it warm up for around 2 minutes, then keep it under 3000 revs until the gauge starts moving up.

D3rELiC
09-12-2004, 07:07 PM
forgot to explain the safety premix

your car burn oil, its designed that way.
theres an oil pump called the OMP on the front cover on the passenger side of your engine. this pump pumps oil into the rotor chambers to lube up the apex seals of your rotors. that is exactly why you dont want to use syntech oil. because when syntech oil burns, it leaves residute. this oil pump sometimes fail and cause very serious engine damage, thats why some ppl will completely ditch this oil pump and run premix, they add 2 stroke oil in their gaz, and they are set. if the omp is not running, you can use syntech oil. some ppl also run safety premix, they keep the omp but they add oil in their gaz to make sure if the pump fail to work properly, they dont end up with a blown engine.

89tracerman
09-13-2004, 07:30 PM
what happens if i already used 20-50 syntetic oil on my car should i give it another oil change?

89tracerman
09-13-2004, 07:52 PM
ok i have another problem this started last night im going down the road on 4th GEAR and and i let go of the gas peddle and all of the suden i hear like a scraping sound. now it does it on all gears when i release the gas exept neutral could it be the Drive shaft?, or diferential cuz u can hear it under the car. and it only does it when i release the gas on a gear. :(

chcia853
09-16-2004, 02:08 PM
You need to just keep your car clean and you can Idle your car but I wouldn't do it for long.

Add your comment to this topic!