Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

more stuff.

stuffbyalex
09-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey everybody... this is three weeks worth of work.

The first is a '67 cougar, then a '69 camaro, then a '67 camaro.

Critisism is welcome.

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5400/1967MercuryCougar.jpg

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/1687/1969Camaro.jpg

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/2410/1967Camaro1967CamaroRS.jpg

Alex

ntmcog
09-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Holy Shit dude, are those photos!!? I've never seen drawings or renderings, whatever they are, look that good. I'm so impressed. Do you do this professionally? if not, you should. Keep up the good work.

you
09-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Holy Shit dude, are those photos!!? I've never seen drawings or renderings, whatever they are, look that good. I'm so impressed. Do you do this professionally? if not, you should. Keep up the good work.

Hehe, hes thirteen i think :evillol:

How big are your drawings? What do you do your color renders with? pencils pastels?

They look like photos!

bonzelite
09-09-2004, 02:14 AM
you already know i love your stuff. so i will freely criticise you and knock you down off the high horse: top dwg, cougar. front wheel looks a bit smallish and squishy. wheel looks deflated, sad, depressed, too much 'positive camber.'

middle car, red: spokes of front rim are not equidistant. you're not far off, but it is not exact. my eye goes immediately to that wheel and is uncomfortable with an otherwise excellent rendering.

green car: my favorite of these. awesome.

ok. back on the high horse for you. :)

xyfalconsrock
09-09-2004, 04:41 AM
bloody sweet al
u keep doing these pictures and im gonna have to buy one
hehe...

Ra_15
09-09-2004, 01:06 PM
The third one is amazing!! I agree with Bonz with the first two. Could you post some bigger pics so we could really appreciate the detail in these drawings please? It's just that there a bit on the small side atm.

mike@af
09-09-2004, 03:28 PM
This isnt the photojournalism forum so please dont just post photo's.

Amazing...I quit.

stuffbyalex
09-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks alot for your comments!

You: i used prismacolor pencils, some verithin for detail

Chad: Thanks man. on the camaro (cinnamon, not red btw :) ) im guessing the center of the wheel is too high? Also, I have a question, on most car photos, especially muscle cars, why do all the wheels appear to have positive camber, even if there is none? is it the angle of the car

Ross: the pics have been resized

Mike: Photojournalism? if so, my camera must snap flawed wheels!

Thx again

Alex

mike@af
09-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Mike: Photojournalism? if so, my camera must snap flawed wheels!

Yes Alex, I have gotten my camera to fool the eye and make things non distored. I love photography.

thetonyguy
09-09-2004, 06:30 PM
wow... too real for a drawing. impressed.

thetonyguy
09-09-2004, 06:33 PM
hey alex, couple questions. what paper do u use? after ur done drawing, do u spary it with any thing? once again, that's some bona fide drawings u got.

Ra_15
09-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Hey, thanks Alex. I put your third one as my desktop if you don't mind. Its just that you put so much detail into your drawings that the big pic's help me see where it all is :). Would you be able to do my competition if it only takes you a week to do each of them? Its just I would love to see what you could do with that shiny Merc. Have a think, I don't mind if you chose not to.

asaenz
09-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Dude, those are awesome.
I need to use a face :eek2:

Thx for posting them big. I think I will use one of those camaros as a background. Or I might just print them off and start selling some prints....hee hee, just joking. You got skillz, mad skillz.

al

Vtec913
09-10-2004, 01:56 PM
absolutely amazing, as usual

Jeep_Rubicon
09-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Amzing as usual, I might try a grid drawing, see how it turns out, it looks like the results are amzing, the only things wrong are the wheels on the cougar and i'm not sure if the rs is supposed to look like that, but i don't know.

tanner07
09-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I love the '69. Those Torq-Thrusts look sweet. What would it cost me for you to draw my Chevelle and send it to me? :biggrin:

itrgtr
09-13-2004, 12:36 AM
this may sound weird, but i just want to say thank you, u are an inspiration! i draw all the time, but never seriously sat down to work on something nice. i'll post some pics of my old work in a lil bit.

edit: hehe nvm about the pics, i just read the stickie for newbies, so i wont post them here. :)

bonzelite
09-13-2004, 03:30 AM
alex, you are correct about the cinnamon camaro. hub center is a bit too high and the spokes are not evenly spaced all around. i'm nit-picking to get you to dial it in. you went this far, so just go a tiny bit farther and you have slam-dunked it again. and again. and again. :)

stuffbyalex
09-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the comments.

Chad: thanks... and about the question I asked earlier? (in my other post)

Ross: Looks like I should be able to enter your contest. Grid method is allowed, right?

Alex

bonzelite
09-14-2004, 02:50 AM
Thanks again to everyone for the comments.

Chad: thanks... and about the question I asked earlier? (in my other post)

Ross: Looks like I should be able to enter your contest. Grid method is allowed, right?

Alex

alex what question? did i neglect to answer something? if i did, repeat the query and i will respond:) you're on a great track, buddy. i'm a fan.

Ra_15
09-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Good to hear you can do it Alex!! You can use the grid method.

lemorris
09-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Once again very nice Alex!!

I'm curious about your reference. In particular where are you getting it? Your renderings have a tremendous amount of detail.

I like the first Camaro a lot, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Cougars.

It's time you stepped up and did a VW...preferably 1958 ragtop with a super sexy chick oh wait chickssss and lots of money layin around just like mine...umm without the chicksss and the money.

-Lemorris

Jeep_Rubicon
09-14-2004, 08:13 PM
^lol^ ya i was wondering the same thing, where do you find these at, they all have all kinds of detail.

stuffbyalex
09-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks Ross.

Bonz: here's the question: on most car photos, especially muscle cars, why do all the wheels appear to have positive camber, even if there is none? is it the angle of the car?

Jeep and Lemorris:The refs were taken with a digital cam during a car show, so the quality is pretty high on the photos.

Alex

Jeep_Rubicon
09-14-2004, 09:09 PM
ooooooooooo, why didn't I think of that well I knew about the camera and it's quality but ya...

lemorris
09-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Alex,

I think I can offer an opinion on your photo question to Bonz.

One of the things we should all remember when using photographic reference is the fact that the camera only has 1 eye. Your renderings are true to your reference which is outstanding, but things like ellipses tend to get slightly distorted by the lens...no field of depth or something like that. In any case as you are transferring you should compensate for that in your rendering. It's slight enough that it doesn't show in long body lines and stuff like that. It rears it's annoying head in your rims and spokes and what not. It happens to all of us.

Fortunately the "artistic license" umbrella is wide and all encompassing. lololol

You're a bad-a_s keep em comin.

-Lemorris

bonzelite
09-15-2004, 02:26 AM
alex, i will add to lemorris' words as well. you got to understand that often in photos, the ideal view is not always what is presented.

therefore, it is necessary at times to depart from the photo and make it better. this is why apps like photoshop were created: to improve where the photo falls short. as an artist, you are not in a prison. you can go off the record and invent things within the context of the photograph's world.

in your case, i have tracked your drawings for a while by now. and you are awesome. but i see that you sometimes bog down in the shadows where the rubber part of the tires are. this is often due to underlit conditions, so you just kind of guess at it.

i will break this up into smaller posts. hold on....

bonzelite
09-15-2004, 02:29 AM
i am a sort of skipping record repeating myself again and again about ellipses. when you wield the power of skill with 3-point perspective and ellipses, you can invent any appropriate wheel you wish at will.

this goes directly back to your excursions in sketching that you posted a few weeks ago. you did freehand, sort of loosey-goosey vanishing point based drawings. and you found it to be a bit more involved that it may have seemed.

i speak of only rendering versus rendering on top of solid draftsmanship. if you have both, you are unstoppable. if you only render, we will see holes in your plot. your squishy wheel. the misplaced spokes.

bonzelite
09-15-2004, 02:33 AM
when i encounter dark areas with minimal or missing information (like where the top and bottom of the tire really is versus 'where the hell is it?'), i make it up.

in time, you will not just make up only the wheel, but the entire car. and you WILL if you sketch out from your mind more often. in your case, for the most part, presently, you must draw exactly what is seen and this leaves you a bit handicapped. what about the missing stuff -the more obscure, less-defined things? --you must see them in the dark. you must have a sixth sense. and this is called drawing.

you can and MUST be able to make up the wheels where they fade into the darkness. if you can render the way you do and copy from life/photos the way you already can, then the next step is just under your nose. or pencil.

bonzelite
09-15-2004, 02:43 AM
i know i have whroed this thread, but i want to push you farther because you are very talented.

stuffbyalex
09-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks alot for the input lemorris, its always good to hear from you.

Chad: Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Your advice is always helpful. I agree w/ what you're saying about "improvising" with unclear parts of a ref photo. I guess it comes with experience and learning more about art, and cars too.

Alex

stuffbyalex
09-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Here are a few sketches I've done recently. I'm stepping away from the usual angle and trying a different perspective, the one that Gamsaleh uses in alot of his sketches.

http://img7.exs.cx/img7/2353/sketches2.jpg

Suggestions would be appreciated. Are they somewhat accurate, or did i get this all wrong?

BTW: Ignore the faint lines beside the sketches. Those are other sketches on the other side of the paper that showed through on the scan.

Alex

Jeep_Rubicon
09-17-2004, 07:40 PM
That's what I wanna see, nice rims the proportions are pretty good, i like the rims! you should post more work like this, it will help you improve much faster, i think...

Ra_15
09-18-2004, 03:59 AM
Nice sketches! I think the second one is the best proportionally. You need to work on the front of the car a bit because the front looks slightly off on the first and third. The first one looks to curvy around the right light in proportion to the left light.

On the second one the front stops too short. I thought the front looked a bit like a Noble M12, so if you look here (http://www.fast-autos.net/noble/m12gto3.html) you'll see that the front is longer than your drawing.

Nice work overall though, and im sure with more practice your sketches will be spot on.

mike@af
09-18-2004, 09:13 AM
I think the faint sketches actually give the drawings a cool look. Your proportions are definately on the right track.

stuffbyalex
09-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the C&C

Alex

bonzelite
09-19-2004, 11:37 AM
there you go. you're on your way now.
best sketches i've ever seen from you. you may
want to do more of that. you know you can render.
so work on this stuff. in ways, it's more interesting.
there are more people who can render than can
draw. you apparently, now, show you can do both.

there are some little things here and there about
these rounds of sketches that are off, but not much.
i'm not going to crit them. your wheels are excellent.

stuffbyalex
09-23-2004, 06:54 PM
thanks again. I should be sketching more after I finish the merc for ross' contest

Roboduck
09-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Wow... excellent work... I really like and appreciate your work with pencils, color pecils and paper...
Robo
Hey everybody... this is three weeks worth of work.

The first is a '67 cougar, then a '69 camaro, then a '67 camaro.

Critisism is welcome.

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5400/1967MercuryCougar.jpg

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/1687/1969Camaro.jpg

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/2410/1967Camaro1967CamaroRS.jpg

Alex

HighOctaneNOSUser
10-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Sweet man. I love it. I love Camaros! Just awsome...

Add your comment to this topic!