Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Villager - Check engine Light coming on

villageduck
09-08-2004, 06:02 PM
The check engine light is going on and off, more on than off these days. Probable cuplrit???

rivguy
09-20-2004, 03:50 PM
a small vac. hose rotting in half under the egr valve

pylet
02-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I have a 95 Villager with 320,000 Km and after driving about 100K with the check engine light on (in spite of replacing the O2 sensors), a friend replaced the Back Pressure Transducer (BPT) hose -- a $9.95 item -- and the check engine light has never came on again.
When he took off the hose, the hose just about turned to powder when he squeezed it in his hands during the removal.
If you got an EGR Code 32 or DTC P0400 this could be the problem. I think there is a service bulletin TSB 98-052 addressing the BPT hose.
Hope this helps.
Pylet

jackass#1
02-11-2005, 06:31 AM
go to autozone and have your codes read for free. then well know the problem.

Smo0ve
10-23-2005, 09:06 PM
go to autozone and have your codes read for free. then well know the problem. I know this is an old thread, but I went to Autozone today to have the codes read on my 1994 Villager and they said they only do 1995 and newer. I thought that 1996 and newer were OBD II? Are they able to do a 1994 even though it's OBD I, or were they being lazy?
:confused:

IH8SPM
10-24-2005, 03:47 PM
no they are right 96 and up is all that there scanner can read

Smo0ve
10-24-2005, 04:11 PM
no they are right 96 and up is all that there scanner can read Thanks for the reply. I found a place to scan it, and it came up with 3 codes. Throttle Position Sensor, EGR Valve, and Knock Sensor. For right now, I just had them replace the TPS since that controls when the tranny shifts and the van was shifting funny. From looking around the forum, I've seen you say that you shouldn't mess with the knock sensor. What's the deal with that? Should I just leave it alone and do the EGR Valve? Thanks in advance.

Smo0ve
10-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Anyone? Should I just change the EGR Valve and leave the Knock Sensor alone?

IH8SPM
10-29-2005, 11:35 AM
The knock sensor is like your fingertips if you poke them it tells your brain to tell your mouth to scream OUCH. So in engine terms if your tps is bad then your car stumbles and the engine feels the pain so your knock sensor triggers you CEL and you have it checked. Replace the hose under the EGR it is broken for sure. You can do it yourself and only spend $1 for the 3-4 inch hose. The knock sensor code will clear it self once the egr hose is fixed. If not have the shop clear it for you but do not FIX IT. You will still get a code if the van has the egr problem. ITS ONLY FUNCTION IS TO CHECK FOR VIBRATION WHICH IS CAUSED BY OTHER PROBLEMS IT IS ALWAYS IN SLEEP MODE AND ONLY WORKS WHEN THERES A PROBLEM. IN FACT HAVING A CODE FROM THE KNOCK SENSOR IS GREAT THAT WAY YOU KNOW TO LOOK OUT FOR PROBLEM.

Smo0ve
10-30-2005, 06:55 PM
The knock sensor is like your fingertips if you poke them it tells your brain to tell your mouth to scream OUCH. So in engine terms if your tps is bad then your car stumbles and the engine feels the pain so your knock sensor triggers you CEL and you have it checked. Replace the hose under the EGR it is broken for sure. You can do it yourself and only spend $1 for the 3-4 inch hose. The knock sensor code will clear it self once the egr hose is fixed. If not have the shop clear it for you but do not FIX IT. You will still get a code if the van has the egr problem. ITS ONLY FUNCTION IS TO CHECK FOR VIBRATION WHICH IS CAUSED BY OTHER PROBLEMS IT IS ALWAYS IN SLEEP MODE AND ONLY WORKS WHEN THERES A PROBLEM. IN FACT HAVING A CODE FROM THE KNOCK SENSOR IS GREAT THAT WAY YOU KNOW TO LOOK OUT FOR PROBLEM.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to have that checked out in the morning. I don't see a listing for an EGR hose, so I'm assuming that I just need to replace the whole EGR Valve. It's real funny that the mechanic was trying to push me to get the Knock Sensor done. I told him I'd be back just to get the EGR done and he said "No, get the Knock Sensor done!" Thanks again.

IH8SPM
10-30-2005, 10:23 PM
the hose is bad and it is avaible at any autoparts store its just not a part number you need just a piece of hose that they sell by feet or inches depending. remove yourself with engine cold and take it to them and they will give the right length and size. don't waste money till you know its broke.

Smo0ve
10-31-2005, 01:17 PM
I took it back to the same shop and had them replace the hose under the EGR, and clear the codes. I drove about 40 miles, and so far no CEL. Thanks again. You've saved me a bunch of cash. They were going to just replace the whole EGR Valve!

IH8SPM
10-31-2005, 05:54 PM
this is why the forum is so important. Every single car I have ever owned since PC were avaible I have researched my problems online. You will not be the first or last person to have that problem or any other. I was nice to know that you waited to get a response b4 spending money for a part that who even knows what it cost when all you needed was a little hose. Keep posting questions and answers to benefit us all.

ukdavid
11-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Can anyone be so kind as to tell me where the EGR valve is located in a '94 Villager so I can check this hose out. Thanks.

The_Mechanic_33
12-17-2008, 07:29 PM
EGR is located behind throttle body under passenger wiper arm piviot.

iroczman77
01-10-2011, 08:57 AM
i have a 94 villagers and from time to time it stalls out on me when im at a stop or driving slow...Any sugestions please ???

tempfixit
01-10-2011, 10:53 AM
i have a 94 villagers and from time to time it stalls out on me when im at a stop or driving slow...Any sugestions please ???

Welcome to forum iroczman77. It is best to start your own thread rather than reopening a old thread. The new thread button is on the upper left of the villager thread page.

How many miles on vehicle? I would check the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) located on the middle to passenger side of the upper plenium. It is a bear to remove so be careful not to loose bolts.

Do you need to step on the accelerator on cold start?

When idling and you turn on the AC does the idle speed change?

Does the CEL come on?

The online service manual on the top of the page is also very helpful.

iroczman77
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Welcome to forum iroczman77. It is best to start your own thread rather than reopening a old thread. The new thread button is on the upper left of the villager thread page.

How many miles on vehicle? I would check the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) located on the middle to passenger side of the upper plenium. It is a bear to remove so be careful not to loose bolts.

Do you need to step on the accelerator on cold start?
When idling and you turn on the AC does the idle speed change?
Does the CEL come on?
The online service manual on the top of the page is also very helpful.

It has 214,000 miles on it and No to the cold start and im not sure about the a/c havent ran it in awhile and the engine light comes on every so ofter.

tempfixit
01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
It has 214,000 miles on it and No to the cold start and im not sure about the a/c havent ran it in awhile and the engine light comes on every so ofter.

Check this link out: let me know if it doesn't work.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDsrTVPH1OdlX8yyOFPF1J4fc0-5joxHhBsn83WcW0snxSQSLvXIcfgRnIEWb6FZ90h6RuNw2uU4e CnaJkmmQczBSK9kLpxrhp0/%21Engine%20Related/Intake%20System/All%20about%20Idle%20Air%20Control%20%26%20FIC.pdf

How is the shifting of the tranny, smooth or harsh.

iroczman77
01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Check this link out: let me know if it doesn't work.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EDsrTVPH1OdlX8yyOFPF1J4fc0-5joxHhBsn83WcW0snxSQSLvXIcfgRnIEWb6FZ90h6RuNw2uU4e CnaJkmmQczBSK9kLpxrhp0/%21Engine%20Related/Intake%20System/All%20about%20Idle%20Air%20Control%20%26%20FIC.pdf

How is the shifting of the tranny, smooth or harsh.

Just had the tranny serviced last year and it shifts smoothly.

iroczman77
01-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Just had the tranny serviced last year and it shifts smoothly.

The way it shut off was like the engine was being chocked or smothered.

tempfixit
01-10-2011, 12:34 PM
The way it shut off was like the engine was being chocked or smothered.

Have you cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor lately (MAF)? ALso check your Fuel pressure regulator to see if it is leaking (smell the vacuum line for gasoline.) Has the fuel pump ever been changed?

iroczman77
01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Have you cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor lately (MAF)? ALso check your Fuel pressure regulator to see if it is leaking (smell the vacuum line for gasoline.) Has the fuel pump ever been changed?

No i havent clean the MAF and I do get a gas smell from under the hood when its cold outside. I just replaced the fule pump about 2 years ago cost me 400 bucks it was located in the tank itself.

tempfixit
01-10-2011, 12:45 PM
No i havent clean the MAF and I do get a gas smell from under the hood when its cold outside. I just replaced the fule pump about 2 years ago cost me 400 bucks it was located in the tank itself.

Try cleaning the MAF sensor, use some maf sensor cleaner in a can. You can get it at parts store or maybe wal mart. The maf sensors can build up with dust on the wires causing problems, be careful not to damge or break wires when you clean just use the cleaner and let dry, reinstall and see what happens.

The gas smell is more than likely the rubber hoses at the ens of the fuel rail leaking when cold. Check the clamps for tightness and hose for leaks. They are a pain to change but can be done, if you need to change let me know and I will help best I can.

Sending PM

iroczman77
01-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Try cleaning the MAF sensor, use some maf sensor cleaner in a can. You can get it at parts store or maybe wal mart. The maf sensors can build up with dust on the wires causing problems, be careful not to damge or break wires when you clean just use the cleaner and let dry, reinstall and see what happens.

The gas smell is more than likely the rubber hoses at the ens of the fuel rail leaking when cold. Check the clamps for tightness and hose for leaks. They are a pain to change but can be done, if you need to change let me know and I will help best I can.

Sending PM

I'm gonna tell you guys one thing, you have been great with instructions and are full of knowledge. i will try those things and let you know the outcome.

The intake air tube to the air cleaner was off !!! It is know running without cutting off !!!

tempfixit
01-10-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm gonna tell you guys one thing, you have been great with instructions and are full of knowledge. i will try those things and let you know the outcome.

The intake air tube to the air cleaner was off !!! It is know running without cutting off !!!

Where was the air cleaner tube off, before or after MAF?

iroczman77
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Where was the air cleaner tube off, before or after MAF?

The tube before the air cleaner box.

Add your comment to this topic!