Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Express Transmission failure

kevincook1
09-08-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm hoping that someone here can give me a little information. I have a 1998 Express conversion van with the 5.7L engine. Am I right in assuming that the transmission is a 4L60E?

I put my van into reverse today and something broke in the transmission. I heard a clunk and then a loud howling/grinding sound.

First gear seems to work fine but I'm not sure about any of the other gears. I drove the half mile home and around 30-40mph it made more noise and "wasn't in gear".

I need to call the transmission shop in the morning.

What do you think I broke?

Should I have it rebuilt or purchase a new one?

Thanks,
Kevin

trannyman52
10-10-2004, 11:07 PM
the sun-shell ,,,is stripped out ,,, common problem on these,,,
can be repaired ,,,without big $$$$$ for rebuild,,,provided your willing
to assume some of the warranty risk!!!!

ridemagicbus
02-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Same happen to me mine its 116000 miles and the repair was kind expensive about $1100

ridemagicbus
03-12-2006, 10:48 PM
I took to the shop again the problem wasn't fixed at all, although it works fine its start to slipping after a short trip in the highway, with speed over 50mph, when arrive to a reduce speed area like stop sign its start again shifting abruptly from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and when i speed up faster (i usually speed up very slowly trying to protect te gearbox) but when i speed up faster the abrupt shift seems to be softer and i think the computer show the same codes again, any help so far? thanks

Add your comment to this topic!