Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what is dobule clutching

Syn48
09-08-2004, 04:08 PM
See question above

gotta learn what it is sometime

thanks for the help

kcap122
09-08-2004, 05:08 PM
this is like telling someone they have a case of the mondays.

just wanna beat u in the face

kman10587
09-08-2004, 05:09 PM
I have no clue...I think it's when you're downshifting, you put the gearshifter into neutral first, rev the car up to the correct RPM, and then put it in the lower gear.

This isn't necessary on newer cars because newer cars come with "synchros" that do it for you, but it's still useful because your synchros last longer if you do this. Another term for this process that you might hear is "rev matching".

Syn48
09-08-2004, 05:54 PM
thank you

TRD2000
09-08-2004, 05:55 PM
i have to do it when i go up and down cause my second gear synchros are gone...

going up ... cluthch in...neutral..clutch out..clutch in... gear in.. clutch out...

going down i dont double clutch... i drive " heel-toe" i guess... brake with my heel and give the accell a blip with my "toes" to match rev's when the revs are nice and close it slots into the next gear down easy and i let out the clutch... (left foot is the clutch right foot for the other two) I'm not sure if what i do is right but it works with no synchros and usually no grinding... (just hard to change up at high revs)

kcap122
09-08-2004, 07:13 PM
the idea of double clutching is if you have a really old car, or one with shot synchros on the gears, you can bring the clutch up to the flywheel speed without bogging ur acceleration too much.

Add your comment to this topic!