Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear End Seal Replacement

iskiuskiweski
09-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Has anyone replaced the rear diff seal?

I have noticed some leakage on my 98' Rodeo from the front seal on the rear diff, it is very minor at the moment but I do not want to wait until it gets worse to replace it and take the chance having the rear end go out. I have to remove the drive shaft anyway to lube the slip yoke, and I am thinking it may be a good time to do it. If anyone has any words of wisdom they would be much appreciated. I love this board it has been very useful since I have become a Rodeo owner.

I am also wondering if the seal failing was caused by the slip yoke not operating properly and clunking.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!

amigo-2k
09-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Get'er done!

Fel-Pro # RDS 6629 (7 bucks for the paper gasket at most autoparts stores).

Write up how to:
http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq47

{edit} Oops you said front seal on the rear diffy. Then the link is no help. sorry about that.

2eyefishclaw
09-08-2004, 08:22 PM
easy job just replace the seal it most likely blew out because of a restriction in the vent so check the vent be sure its not plugged

iskiuskiweski
09-30-2004, 08:13 AM
I thought I saw it in here some where but now I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can find what type of rear end I have? I guess there were a few different types installed and I am not sure which seal to buy.

amigo-2k
09-30-2004, 08:32 AM
you have a dana 44

Dober89
09-30-2004, 05:05 PM
The front seal of your rear diff. Are you talking about the pinion seal where the driveshaft hooks upto the rearend??? Thats a little more complicated then replacing the seal on the rear cover.

Clean out the vent and see if it stops leaking before you do anything else though.

iskiuskiweski
10-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Yes I am talking about the pinion seal. I have to take the drive shaft off anyway to grease the slip yoke so I thought I would replace the leaky seal at the same time as well as clean the vent (btw where is the vent). I don't really want to take it apart twice if I don not have too. I didn't really think it was that big of a job. So anyway that is the story. Thanks for the info.

tomlcollins
10-01-2004, 12:03 PM
the clunking is a product of the two piece driveshaft. When you have it down, slide back the boot, clean it out real good, and regrease it with some heavy duty grease. search this forum for "clunking" or "thumping" for more info. You may also need a seal removal tool to get that rear seal out, not sure.....

iskiuskiweski
10-01-2004, 12:59 PM
yes I know the cause of the clunking, just didn't know if this could cause the seal to fail since there is obviously some extra strain there from the slip yoke not being properly lubed. As for the gasket, I know that is pretty straight forward, and really not much to it nor is that the cause of my leak. I have a write up for replacing the pinion seal, doesn't seem too difficult, and it is only a $10 part so if it saves me from having to take it all apart again then it is worth doing. So with that said it is off to parts store I go. Still one question though, if anyone knows, where's the vent I assume it is up top somewhere but I haven't looked yet. But if someone can point me to it will save me time looking.

iskiuskiweski
01-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Well I found the vent. The vent is actually located on the drivers side axle tube, about six inches away from the pumpkin. I followed the tube and found a muffler or something on the end that prevents anything from getting back in there but lets the air out(someone said it should be plastic but mine was metal). This valve or muffler was rusted shut, no air flow at all. I replaced it and blew out the lines and now everything is breathing like it should.

Dober89
01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
So now that you fixed the vent, does the pinion seal still leak or did you have to replace that also?

iskiuskiweski
01-05-2005, 01:52 PM
I have not replaced the seal yet, I am hoping that this took care of the problem. I will see tonight when I go out and see if there is any lube on the ground under the truck. I will keep my fingers crossed that the seal isn't bad, it isn't a hard job to replace, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

iskiuskiweski
01-11-2005, 09:06 AM
The leak has stopped!!

Add your comment to this topic!