Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

metal plated car bodies

quyeno
09-08-2004, 12:37 PM
hi,

i'm considering several kits for my next project and i've seen a couple that have metal plated car bodies and was wondering what the point of having them metal plated when they will be sprayed over? does it give a subtle metallic effect to the paint?

Rtuned
09-08-2004, 12:39 PM
hi,

i'm considering several kits for my next project and i've seen a couple that have metal plated car bodies and was wondering what the point of having them metal plated when they will be sprayed over? does it give a subtle metallic effect to the paint?
It's molded that color. And is plainly are for those newbie doesn't know how to spray color on model and like to have a chrome finish look. So they also don't know what is 'mold line' :lol:

quyeno
09-08-2004, 12:43 PM
that simple eh! ah well i don't think i'llbe spending that the extra cash for the privilege!

freakray
09-08-2004, 12:46 PM
They aren't molded that color, it's an electro-plating they put on the body so it 'doesn't' need painting, if you want to paint the car you're better off buying the regular kit of the model to paint.
To paint the metal plated kits you'd need to first strip off the plating before you can paint it.

BTW, do a search, this subject hsa been discussed several times.

blubaja
09-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey,
I have the Hasegawa WRX in the blue plated body. It's like the old spectraflame hotwheels. Chromed blue body. Not very realistic. But, neat I guess if you are like it liek that.
Frank X.

exhaust smoke
09-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Pre-painted kits from all manufacturers are bad! No matter how good the finish, there is always flash and mold lines left on!

However, I have yet to see the pre-painted and decalled Tamiya kit though.

quyeno
09-09-2004, 08:46 AM
I've seen the Le Man Porsche that tamiya does pre-painted and decalled, its looks very good and i didn't notice any mold lines on it. But IMO its taking out alot of the fun out of making the kit.

Vric
09-09-2004, 08:47 AM
even those that love the color, tamiya didn't even removed the mold line, so you need to sand them and the paint job is over.. need to do it again

dyowelb
09-09-2004, 03:48 PM
so how do you remove the plating on these kits? i have a polor lights delorean kit that i want to strip of the plating but don't know how.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,
d

freakray
09-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Why don't you check the FAQ for the section on stripping paint?

JTRACING
09-09-2004, 04:19 PM
just soak the car in some brake fluid overnight and the paint will come off.

dyowelb
09-09-2004, 04:30 PM
so how do you remove the plating on these kits? i have a polor lights delorean kit that i want to strip of the plating but don't know how.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,
d

i did, but it didn't says anything about metal plated kit. so i thought that there's another or special way of stripping the plating off.

so, will CSC work on this types of kits???

Macdaddy4738
09-09-2004, 05:41 PM
try bleach...it works good for the plating.

quyeno
09-10-2004, 04:05 AM
I was wondering, with all of these techniques to strip plating and paint off models, which method is safest to the plastic parts?

jswillmon
09-10-2004, 07:27 AM
they are all safe for plastic parts, that's why there being suggested. Breakfluid is probally the quickest way. No matter what you use just make sure to check it, there is always an exception to the rule.
The only time i've ever had any problems stripping paint was when i left a pt cruiser convertible body in dot 4 break fluid for over a week and it completely dissolved just leaving the window frame of the windshield. 1 day would have been fine but i had alot going on and completely forgot about it.

quyeno
09-10-2004, 03:05 PM
cool, i'll need to keep this in mind when i screw up a paint job!

thanks

Add your comment to this topic!