22RE using lots of water; can't find leak

mooseketer
09-08-2004, 10:25 AM
My 1993 22re (416k miles) is using lots of water. 50 miles will use a pint+ of antifreeze. I can't find a leak. The exaust was driping so we rebuilt the head, new gaskets, checked for cracks, etc. No water on the carpet from the heater core, no water in the oil (before or after the rebuild). Any suggestions as to where it might be going?

Jeremy-WI
09-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Have it pressure tested. Have you replaced the radiator cap? How about the overflow tube? Is there a crack in the overflow tank? I had to have the radiator redone in my 91 quite a few years back because it leaked around the brazed joints

natenelsen
09-19-2004, 03:31 AM
Sounds like you have a crack or pinhole in the head over the #3 exahaust valve. This is usually the spot that gives out. The good news is It can often be repaired by a skilled welder at your machine shop. These engines have a ferrous block and aluminum head and should not be run on straight water or a weak mix coolant. That is usually what eats these heads galvanic action. You may be able to test this with out taking the head off by pulling the exhaust manifold and apply pressure to the radiator and look for leaks in the exhaust ports.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Nate

PS this is assuming you have done the things reccomended by Jeremy first.

Buck Rogers
09-20-2004, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=natenelsen]Sounds like you have a crack or pinhole in the head over the #3 exahaust valve.

Another way to tell is if you have steam coming out, even after it is warmed up. When it's cold out, you should only get steam for a few minutes.

notmy90grandam
12-02-2004, 10:10 AM
By any chance have you fixed the problem, I ask this because a buddy of mine has a 1991 toy p/u 22r with the same mysterious coolant leak. The trucks cooling system has been pressure checked (nothing found) no evidence of leaks on the ground or in the engine compartment, the other day he put barsleak in the radiator, his temperture gauge is fluctuating from cold to hot and sometimes very hot, then goes back down to the middle of the gauge, I told him it may be the thermostat, or a small leak that may be evaporating very quickly leaving no evidence behind.
Thanks, anticipating your response.

mooseketer
12-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Yes, we did. What a disaster!! The plastic Timing chain guide had broken off long ago and the timing chain ate through it's cover into the water pump area. This caused the water to go into the oil. (your oil level will be rising) We purchased all the necessary timing parts through http://www.partsdinosaur.com/. Real good prices. *******Don't forget to clean out the oil pan. ******* For this you will need to drop the part of the front end and remove a cross member or the oil pan won't come out. However, after that was fixed, (we didn't clean the oil pan, just changed the oil), we through a bearing. Now I don't know if the bearing was because of age (425,000 miles on the engine) or if the radiator sealents that we added prior to this went into the oil and cause the damage, or both but we are now rebuilding the engine. Live and learn. Good luck with yours.

notmy90grandam
12-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey thanks for the reply, If it was my truck I probably would have lived with the mysterious water leak that nobody could find. Anyhow thanks for the web site, I'll certainly check it out, I might need something for my 94 4runner some day.

Chuck
00 s/10 ground scraper
94 4runner SR5 4x4
00 Chevy Impala

Add your comment to this topic!