How much HP does a light flywheel add?

GT500916
09-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Ok we all know... or atleast most, that Flywheel doesnt add HP to your car, its not a mod like an intake or a cam, it leaves your engine at the same amount of HP as before you put a light Flywheel in. Now, but it does transfer more HP to the rear tires because the engine is capable or spinning more freely. So my question is, how much HP does it add at the rear wheels? 10+hp? 20+hp?

The lighter flywheel does give you less torque at low range RPMs but more torque at mid and higher RPMs and also frees up more HP to the rear wheels so that makes it up for the Low RPM torque loss. If anyone know the answer to this question for sure, post it up. If you dont know, dont guess and say like 100hp or 0hp, people will think you are stupid, haha. Thanks

nissan_240sx
09-08-2004, 12:28 AM
exactly right. flywheels add a few hp, there mainly for engine response. i wouldn't mind getting a flywheel =D

CrzyMR2T
09-08-2004, 12:46 AM
a lighter driveshaft, and some lighter axles with stronger cv joints would also be nice.

musicsurfman
09-08-2004, 09:39 AM
A Flywheel Doesn't Add Any Hp It Frees Up Exsisting Hp And It Allows For Quicker Throttle Response And Less Drivetrain Loss.

SR20DETpower
09-08-2004, 10:06 AM
ya and you have to re learn how to drive your car again because it will be totally different. The revs will want to drop a lot more with less gas and the revs will want to raise higher with more gas then before. It basically allows the engine to do what it wants to quicker, but this has some driveability issues and the engagement of the clutch will feel different.

Will take some getting used to, but once you do you might like it more then before... I've known people that do not like them. For drag racing its almost better to have a heavier one, it gives the engine more momentum when all you are doing is upshifting at full throttle for a timed run. Plus is you mess up a shift the engine revs will not drop as quickly. However if your a real good drag racer(lets face it some are just better then others) and you are used to the lighter flywheel you might be able go faster.... If your just someone who drives around on the street, looking for stop light races and commutes with their car a lot, a stock flywheel might be better suited for you.

ImPLiCiTS14
09-08-2004, 11:31 AM
ive got a brand new one for sale if any one you guys intrested was gonna install it but i came up short on money to get my turbo install hehe priority's.

KenOhki2112
09-08-2004, 12:03 PM
There's no way you're gonna get a 10 - 20 hp gain from a fly wheel, Frankly I would be shocked if you gained more than 2 or 3 ATW, I'm assuming you have a KA. Thats about what my brothers prelude gained with a lightend fly wheel.

TatII
09-08-2004, 01:01 PM
on a n/a KA your probrably goin to get like 5 hp at the wheels. however for a turbo KA i would atleast expect to see 10whp. and a much broader power band from better boost response. and also it depends on how light you go. if you go with like a 10-13 lb fly wheel. it will feel almost stock. i've driven my friend 97 with pulleys and a lightweight flywheel and i honestly didn't notice the difference and the way the revs drop or anything. however hes a n/a so i couldn't tell you if the car's got any faster since its still not that fast.

Neil_se
09-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Light flywheel isn't about power, its about response. I've got a 6.X kg Trust flywheel and i noticed an increase in off-boost response and slightly less lag. Still the same on the highways and going up hills and doesn't decelerate much quicker. Driveability didn't change as much as i thought it would and i'd actually like to go lighter such as a 4.8kg Ogura or Toda.

Ace$nyper
09-10-2004, 01:09 PM
A Flywheel Doesn't Add Any Hp It Frees Up Exsisting Hp And It Allows For Quicker Throttle Response And Less Drivetrain Loss.
summed up perfectly.

SR20DETpower
09-10-2004, 01:33 PM
you post whore

Ace$nyper
09-10-2004, 02:17 PM
you post whore
what you talking about =)

wait you posted too :iceslolan

mynismo
09-10-2004, 04:16 PM
ive noticed much better power down low in off boost situations as well