Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

XM Radio Install?

Stinky Peete
09-07-2004, 01:06 PM
I have a 2001 RX300 with GPS.
My dealer and Best Buy both tell me that I cannot install my XM radio in the car because it will interfere with the GPS system.

Does anyone know about this? Have any experience good or bad with this issue? Any advice r fixes to this potential problem?

I love my XM at home and would like to take it on the road with me. I'm curious for any and all feedback.

Thanks,

Peete

N2CARS
09-10-2004, 07:19 PM
You might want to post this in the Cars in General/ Audio section of AF. You might get more responses. Good luck.

wardenswife
10-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Stinky Pete:

I want to install the XM as well on the 2001, but I don't have the GPS. How do you get the radio out or is there a way to get to the antenna without removing the radio?

ww

Henrik
08-12-2005, 02:08 PM
I installed the little Delphi XM radio. I have the antenna lying on the dash, and use the Tape insert to feed it to the radio.

There is no reason I can see why an XM receiver would interfere with a GPS unit. I also use a Magellan 700 and I have no problems.

mmdrake
11-04-2005, 10:50 AM
I have the Delphi Skyfi in the 330 with GPs and have zero problem with it.

I do have an issue trying to connect the unit to the radio direct. It seems Toyota/Lexus firmware "talks" different than the rest of the industry. I am looking for a < $600 solution to pipe the XM signal into the radio for digital feed and display.

keithou
05-09-2008, 01:31 PM
In case this is of any help, there is an XM radio made exclusively for Lexus and Toyota vehicles brand name Vais. On my RX 330, it installed beneath the console (in between the two footwells) and you see nothing except the small antenna that sits on the far edge of the dash. It allows for about 10 preset channels. It obviously does not have all the features that the factory installed radio would have, but it's by far the best option for an aftermarket radio. It's pricey, however. I paid $650 for mine (installed price) in 1996. However, they can install it in about 15 minutes. No wires cut, nothing to worry about, everything just snaps into place. The service advisor at my Lexus dealership was the one that recommended it to me.

Add your comment to this topic!