Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Kf-ze

lone_night_fox
09-07-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm thinking of doing this swap over the KJZE for cost efficiency... but a few questions.. with the KF 2.0 engine do I need to change my ECU, IM, or Clutch? if I need to change ECUs does anyone know where I can get one? also does anyone know the Compression Ratio? I'm guessin it's the 10:1 ratio like the KL. does anyone know?

Austoon
09-07-2004, 01:06 PM
what kinda numbers does that engine put out?

lone_night_fox
09-07-2004, 05:10 PM
it's a 2.0L which puts out 170hp... but considering the pricediffrence I can deal with 30 hp less

firefly948
09-08-2004, 08:30 PM
what car did the KF come out of? And If I were you, I'd go for the KLZE because of it's larger size. 30 horse power is a big difference.

Another thing to consider is the fact that there aren't many people that have done that swap (I haven't heard of any), so the amount of information you have to draw from is alot less than that of the KLZE. The KLZE has been tried and has proved itself to be a good engine and an easy swap with little or no hitches.

I'd say go for the KLZE.

lone_night_fox
09-08-2004, 08:36 PM
the KF-ZE has less to change from 1.8-2.0. and I think I'll be able to keep the 1.8 IM, finding out about that (i'm going for the sleeper look) for the most part... so the stock IM will be a nice touch. the 2.0 came in the MX-6 J-spec... the KL-ZE mainly came out of the 626... there were a few MX-6s with the KL-ZE but in few #'s. also I like the 2.0 L over a 2.5... cauz a 2.0 with 170hp sounds alot more impressive than a 2.5 with 200... also $800usd is kinda steep for 30HP.. IMO

firefly948
09-08-2004, 08:43 PM
yeah...but waht happens when you want to do more than the swap? you have a lower initial hp rating, so it'll be harder to get it running faster.

lone_night_fox
09-08-2004, 08:48 PM
all i want is a good bit of gettup and go... not something I need LSD to hold on the ground! Props to BabyBlue on his KL-ZE Turbo... but that's alot of gas and Hp and besides I'm not out to streetrace (generically) I do run 0-speedlimit with friends or the occassional prep with a civic or celica... but for a general rule I just want 200hp or so and I'll be happy... and the 170hp base with headers, Intake, and Exhaust and maybe a hi-flow cat... I should be making about that... and there I'll be happy.. besides I like drift too much... so basically I'm making a Show/Race car kinda deal.. it looks nice and runs pretty quick... but for real money I plan on gettin a RX-7 FC or a 240SX and convert to a Silvia... I love to get Sidewayz (get my drift?)

firefly948
09-10-2004, 06:47 PM
I guess if that's all you want to do...but here's another point. By the time you get the KF installed with all that stuff you said. It'll cost just as much as a KLZE. The exhaust already cost you 215 usd. The intake...assuming you buy the prm one, will cost 180 usd. The heads...if you can find some will also cost somewhere between 200 and 400 usd. And if you decide to go with a high flow cat...I think that's above 100 usd as well. For all that you could pay almost $1000...IF you get them at regualr prices. You might as well buy the KLZE.

Or you could build an intake for 40 usd, gut your cat for free, and just forget about the headers. Maybe go for a better chip for 150 usd. Your choice...I'd go with the kLZE though...mainly because there are more references online if you screwup.

lone_night_fox
09-11-2004, 08:30 AM
except I already have the exhaust and intake... so it's less... on a side note my Weapon R with the Heatsheild only cost me $120 and that's 3day shipping right there... but the KF is more interchangable than the KL mainly because the KF is an overbored K8 with high compression and more aggressive cams. so clutch, IM, and ECU should all be the same

babybluemx3
09-11-2004, 10:48 AM
except I already have the exhaust and intake... so it's less... on a side note my Weapon R with the Heatsheild only cost me $120 and that's 3day shipping right there... but the KF is more interchangable than the KL mainly because the KF is an overbored K8 with high compression and more aggressive cams. so clutch, IM, and ECU should all be the same

I believe there is a particular ecu and intake manifold for the kf-ze..so it'll be the same as a ze ..you can use your stock ecu but it's better to use the right one with it :)...swaping a kf-ze will be the same problem and probably same price as a ZE

:2cents: get that ze and kill some turbo honduhs

Austoon
09-11-2004, 11:34 AM
For the KL-ZE can u just drop them in and keep your stock V6 stuff or do you have to change your tranny, clutch and all that stuff to handle the more power?

babybluemx3
09-11-2004, 11:50 AM
you can keep the stock tranny...people have used them over 300whp so..you would have defenitly have to buy a new clutch to handle that power or else your stock won't long too long and you have to take out the tranny again to change the clutch..so save yourself the hassle and change it while de engine is out the car...

firefly948
09-16-2004, 10:32 PM
i know someone else has asked this q b4...but I'm too lazy to go looking for it. Do you have to swap the ecu when you swap the KLZE?

babybluemx3
09-17-2004, 05:42 AM
You don't HAVE to but is highly recommended

firefly948
09-17-2004, 05:09 PM
well that kills the swap...that puts the total for just an engine and the ecu at 1400 usd. That ecu is freakin expensive!

babybluemx3
09-17-2004, 09:37 PM
yeah i know..I bought my klze ecu a year and a half ago and payed 200cad$ for it...now these days they sell for arounf 400-450cad$

firefly948
09-19-2004, 12:47 AM
do you know where I can get one for cheap? I 'm hoping that my dad will let me buy the KLZE before the k8 blows, that way I can have something to put in it right away.

mx3man
09-19-2004, 12:03 PM
no it is almost impossible to get them for 'cheap'. I paid 400$ a couple months ago for mine. Just finding one is next to impossible, nevermind finding a cheap one.

Add your comment to this topic!