Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thought/experiences on shipping completed models

potsie
09-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanting to know if anyone had any thoughts on, or experiences of, shipping completed models overseas. I am heading back to Aus for a holiday, and I have 3 x 1/24th and 2 x 1/43rd models I want to take back when I go. I was thinking of wrapping them all in tissue paper, and loading them into a box from one of the 1/24th kits. Not to sure whether to trust the baggage handlers and put them in my check through, or go through the hassle of having them searched as carry-on. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Grant.

mysteryman
09-06-2004, 02:16 PM
personally I would wrap them in bubble wrap and then take them on the plane with me.but if you do put them in your luggage make sure that the box you have them in is in between clothes that way if they bounce around they should be ok ...

StephenDeli
09-06-2004, 02:28 PM
^That seems to be the best idea. Altough any which way you choose to take them is still a risk.

lancerevoRS
09-06-2004, 02:54 PM
hmm i took all mine back with bubble wrap and then just shoved in a box :D

mike@af
09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Bubble wrap and a wooden crate.

willimo
09-06-2004, 03:46 PM
I actually think a nice, sturdy piece of luggage is going to do you best. See if you can't find one of those foam lined, metal suitcases people use to transport delicate electronics and the like. These tend to be rather expensive, but you may be able to find a used one for cheap on Ebay or someplace.

If you plan to carry them on, be sure that you can unwrap them easily without breaking the models. It's unlikely they will search them after x-ray, but if they do, the less you handle the actual model the safer it will be.

If you check the luggage, still make them rather easy to unwrap, and I would leave a "Plastic models inside, VERY FRAGILE" note that will be found upon opening the luggage. That way, if the workers search your bags (which tends to happen to me when I am moving kits) they will see the note, and perhaps be a little gentler searching your bag. It may do nothing, but at least your tried. I've never had to move models so far, but I will in the future. Hopefully I won't ever have to carry them on an aircraft; I'll probably not let them out of my sight during the move, but I have given it some thought and that's what I've come up with.

RallyRaider
09-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Never taken models on public transport but here is what I do when I move mine around, usually in the car. For starters I have an individual plastic case for each kit. So when moving I tape the car down to the base using Tamiya masking tape. I try and avoid taping over the decals, but since I clear coat them they should be okay. I also use some blue tack if the car has a low, flat bottom. The tape is stuck right around to the bottom of the base, usually just two pieces does the job. Then I place the top over the base, this pushes down on the tape and holds it firmly in place. The case can now be turned upside down and any which way without the model moving. Finally, the case and model go in the original box, which I've kept for precisely this reason.

Using this technique I've successfully transported models interstate in my car as well as in removal vans.

ywwong
09-06-2004, 08:16 PM
i moved mine back to HK from US by wrapping each model with bubble wrap and put them in a very hard carton box.

hirofkd
09-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Wrap each model with tissue paper to avoid scratch, and put it in a small plastic bag. That way, in case something comes off, you'll be able to find it easily. Then, put each in a huge garbage bag, and roll them up. That'll create 2-4 inch thick of padding, and garbage bags are usually cheap. That's how I shipped my kits from Japan to US.

potsie
09-07-2004, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll try a bit of tissue papered/bubble wrapped/blue-tac'ed to the box and take them with me on board if they'll fit. Hope I don't get searched - no doubt the security dudes will think I am a bit childish as I also have some 1/43rd diecast to take as well :iceslolan .

Thanks again - see how we go!!

Add your comment to this topic!