Newbee here...Q's and A's about J30

pperelman
09-05-2004, 10:53 PM
I am looking to get J30. Mid 90's (95-96). I need to know what to look for in this vehicle before I get it.
I am mechanic by trade so wrenching isn't scaring me. Just dont want to get in to pile of crap..."Unknown territory you know" - never had experience with Infinity. People say it's a good car. I t-drove J30, a small rocket. have driven Bmw, Mb and such...J30 is a bit more nimble and a bit more comfy/cushy...
Just want your(experience only please) .02$ before I get financing going!!!
Thanks!

Underground_Killah
09-06-2004, 04:38 AM
first off, i don't know what an infinity is....

if you are speaking of infiniti's they are solid cars.. i have a 93 so i can't tell you what my 2cents are because they don't apply to the year span you're looking at.

appleman10
09-06-2004, 01:09 PM
first off, i don't know what an infinity is....

if you are speaking of infiniti's they are solid cars.. i have a 93 so i can't tell you what my 2cents are because they don't apply to the year span you're looking at.

coughsmartasscough......:)

pperelman
09-07-2004, 12:29 AM
If I spelled Infiniti (y) it doesn't make you smarter....only smart ass who gives "0" a bad name!!!
If you reply, it will make ever more less than "0"....
see ya!

vishesh
09-09-2004, 12:16 PM
I actually own a 1996 J30. Here's what I would say about it:

Positives

Pretty powerful car (I want to say 210 HP)
Sweet body and design
It's an Infiniti...the "ooh aah" appeal. I meet people all the time who mistake it for a Jag (b/c of the "J" in "J30") and that is always cool
It is a pretty rock-solid car. I have had few problems with it, only did basic maintenence and regular oil changes

Things to keep in mind (disadvantages)
[list=1]
Seems to eat through gas. it eats premium too, which is not so great seeing as how you have to give up your first-born child to fill up a tank these days
Rear wheel drive--slips and skids sometimes when accelerating in rain or snow...especially when making turns. can solve this by throwing sandbags in the trunk or some additional weight
not very roomy in the back
Not as smooth a ride as, say, a new Lexus RX330
Maintenence could get a little expensive--I need to buy a replacement window motor and regulator and I am looking at $500 if I buy direct from Nissan, maybe about $50-$100 if I buy used/reman....so basically keep that in mind

I am looking to get J30. Mid 90's (95-96). I need to know what to look for in this vehicle before I get it.
I am mechanic by trade so wrenching isn't scaring me. Just dont want to get in to pile of crap..."Unknown territory you know" - never had experience with Infinity. People say it's a good car. I t-drove J30, a small rocket. have driven Bmw, Mb and such...J30 is a bit more nimble and a bit more comfy/cushy...
Just want your(experience only please) .02$ before I get financing going!!!
Thanks!

tonygarcia
09-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Rear wheel drive--slips and skids sometimes when accelerating in rain or snow...especially when making turns.

I slipped this past weekend.. the streets were wet.. and i was turning onto the access road.

It sucked. I learned the hard way, luckily I didn't damage my baby. I'm going to be much more careful from now on.

appleman10
09-10-2004, 01:37 AM
yea that back tire slippage has been a recent issue with me as well, I like to push my J to the limits and its been dangerous around some sharp turns where I nearly loose control. The best tip I can offer is to not accelerate around turns....then your golden.

salomon4fifty
09-18-2004, 08:26 PM
The J30 is a very strong car. It does drink fuel like rediculous but if you don't have far to go, it is a dream to drive and is worth the extra bucks in gas. I have a '95 J30 with about 90K mi. on it and it still drives strong and shows no sign of slowing down. I could notice a slight ping, recently, when accelerating, but added a octane booster to the tank on my last fill-up and it quickly resolved the noise... which was barely at all. It also made the car fly and a lot smoother. Handling is awesome... although when i got it, it already had racing rims and profile tires so i dount know how standard is. are far as suspension... it rides smooth over bumps but takes corners well. The only disadvantage i think is significant is the space in the back seat... it is tight for a 4dr. but if you dont drive with more than 2 people very often i would definetly recommend it.

95j30dude
09-20-2004, 12:52 PM
ride isn't quite as good and quite as Lexus.
Interior leather is real nice, and handling is great.

rebar71
09-21-2004, 11:50 AM
I love my '93 J. Gas mileage isn't that bad - I get 16-17 mpg city driving and 24-25 mpg highway. Unfortunately, I do mostly in-town driving. This car was meant to cruise on the open road.

95j30dude
09-21-2004, 01:15 PM
What tranny fluid is recommended? MAnual says Nissan brand only, but my part shop guy says any dextron 3/Mercon will do, is this true?
I will attempt to do it DIY...
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Dan

Underground_Killah
09-23-2004, 11:37 PM
well i have a 93.. and i get 23 to the gal street and 25 mpg highway... it's a nice ride... i'd recommend it

Big Guy
10-26-2004, 03:23 AM
the only bad thing about it is gas mileage... spirited driving (hard to avoid) nets you single city digits and low to mid hwy.

tip: don't hit the brakes while turning

Underground_Killah
10-26-2004, 10:14 PM
what?!? u must drive with a lead foot to get single digits...

Phil0968
12-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I must say the J30 is a def. strogn car. I got my '93 in april when it had 131 k on it and I have put close to 12k since then in less then a year. Has been an extremely reliable car, only slight issues such as I replaced my driver side window motor which was costly. Other small issues include a slight electrical problem dealing with my front right headlight which tends to go off and on. Im thinking a loose cable but if anyone else knows id appreciate the input. Gas mileage i normally get about 20 around town and 23-24 on the road. As I noticed people have already said the back seat does get a bit cramped but for two people the front two seats are some of the most comfortable i have sat in. A lot fo fun to drice.

Phil0968
12-12-2004, 02:31 PM
I must say the J30 is a def. strogn car. I got my '93 in april when it had 131 k on it and I have put close to 12k since then in less then a year. Has been an extremely reliable car, only slight issues such as I replaced my driver side window motor which was costly. Other small issues include a slight electrical problem dealing with my front right headlight which tends to go off and on. Im thinking a loose cable but if anyone else knows id appreciate the input. Gas mileage i normally get about 20 around town and 23-24 on the road. As I noticed people have already said the back seat does get a bit cramped but for two people the front two seats are some of the most comfortable i have sat in. A lot fo fun to drive.

Nahkapohjola
12-13-2004, 05:29 AM
Maxima J30 is all electronics and pcb's all over; connectors are good ones -shielded... ECU controls all about engine & gearbox. Engine great, some tell gearbox too advance tech [ECU controlled differential lock etc etc]: breaks. Dunno. So far no big problems: -93 J30 80k.

The car has had during its 11 years one bad idle problem (last year), replaced: Ign cap, wires, Throttle pos sensor. Otherwise just nice driving.

Phil: you have bad connector on RH lamp wire as headlights work in pairs. The orig wires are awful thin (voltage drops and poor light), I made new wires from finger thick cable, +12 from battery & relays beside both lamps.

JustFanatical
12-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Do all 95 up J30's have viscous limited slip?

salomon4fifty
01-05-2005, 01:09 PM
yes

samuelcv
02-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Bought a FLA. J30 1995 w/60K miles....body solid, needed a lil paint work...ding repairs and 3 new window regulator assemblies. I took apart the regulator assemblies and the problem was the motor lift gear (nylon) and not the motor or the regulator...many sites tell you the cable gets frayed...can't see that since it is a steel cable and the weight is minimal thus I saw no wear in the cable. Same with the sunroof...replaced the main drive gear and all works great. Had brakes replaced, trans and differential fluid changed, engine flushed and injectors cleaned (should clean every 2 years...not the STP/ect.. in a bottle type...an actual pressure cleaning)...this cleaning has the effect of a tune-up since a tune up on these car really is a 100k adventure and not one of every 30k like some say...the clean injectors increased mileage and power as well as stablizied idle and acceleration. Total for all this was 1,000.00, but the car looks and drives like new.....could actually call it mint now...happy...happy...happy. I like it better than my BMW (99') or my Mits. Diamante and as many other owners have said...it is a driver's car......Final note: It would seem to me that many issues addressed in this forum revolve around maintenace failure.....for examples a cleaning of the PCV valves with solvent every year should be a "must"....engine will not breath right and all goes down hill from there....anyway, I am a shadetree mechanic and not afraid to get grease under my finely manicured nails....it is actually quite manly...so to all my fellow J-30 owners I send a "howdy" and good luck from Nashville Indiana and may the J-Froce be with us all...later...

InfinityLife
02-09-2005, 02:03 PM
I must say the J30 is a def. strogn car. I got my '93 in april when it had 131 k on it and I have put close to 12k since then in less then a year. Has been an extremely reliable car, only slight issues such as I replaced my driver side window motor which was costly. Other small issues include a slight electrical problem dealing with my front right headlight which tends to go off and on. Im thinking a loose cable but if anyone else knows id appreciate the input. Gas mileage i normally get about 20 around town and 23-24 on the road. As I noticed people have already said the back seat does get a bit cramped but for two people the front two seats are some of the most comfortable i have sat in. A lot fo fun to drice.

The right headlight problem stems from the relay box that needs to be replaced. Check the posts here, someone said you can get them from a autoparts distributer in Brooklyn, NY for around 40 dollars. I had my shop do it with labor for about $80 plus.

ashleywat
02-10-2005, 02:19 PM
owned 94 J30 since 1997, awesome, reliable luxury car, actaully I am selling mine, I have too many cars and this one has to go, let me know where you are and if ur interested, its dark blue only 89k miles, tan interior, im in va, see ad here
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/car/57002992.html

shortlid
03-25-2005, 09:47 AM
When did J30 switch to FWD if ever? Did they come with manual tranny's. What about Traction Control/LSD???

rebar71
03-25-2005, 10:30 AM
When did J30 switch to FWD if ever? Did they come with manual tranny's. What about Traction Control/LSD???
The J was NEVER fwd - and was NEVER manufactured with a manual tranny. I don't believe it ever had traction control either - though the "t' model did possess 4-wheel steering.

As far as the LSD goes - I know this guy who knows a guy...

swimshark
04-13-2005, 04:36 PM
just drive at about 60mph. youll get the highway milage. i went from filling up once a week to filling up every week and a half

very good on saving money. oh yah always get in the lane with no cars when you have to start up slower it drinks more gas lol

Underground_Killah
04-14-2005, 01:18 AM
t i don't think had 4w steering.... i know the spoiler was an option, i just tell people it stands for turbo and watch them believe me until i start laughing...

i'm selling mine too btw....

mikenearmilwaukee
05-26-2005, 08:33 AM
OK first off, my 97 J30 has a huge backseat. Instead of calling shotgun in my car they call backseat.... And whatever is sooo wrong with your car that you get > 10 miles to the gallon, I hope it never happens to me.!! !! Christ man, tune your car up... and why would you want a pre 95 infiniti... The newer ones look better, are faster, and have a larger trunk, and backseat. The damn armrest in back, ( wich folds up ) is a foot across, not to mention the huge padded sides... mmm leather... I wish I could drive from the back seat... All they need now is heat. - like the font ones... ;)

mikenearmilwaukee
05-26-2005, 08:35 AM
And the J30T does stand for turbo... most likely twin trubo. ?? Duh?.

Add your comment to this topic!