99 Jimmy Complete Electrical Failure

kwtrux
09-05-2004, 10:09 PM
I Have A Wierd Problem. Every Once In Awhile, For No Reason, The Truck Goes Dead, Key Gets Stuck In Ignition And I Have No Electrical Power. It Started Perfect 5 Minutes Prior To This. It Has Happened Several Times. If You Jump It, It Starts Instantly.
Anybody Have This Problem And Know How To Solve It?

tech1029
09-05-2004, 11:33 PM
I had 2 batteries die on my 99 jimmy so far. Both times it was from a broken positive terminal INSIDE THE BATTERY. Hope this helps.

kwtrux
09-06-2004, 05:43 AM
I had 2 batteries die on my 99 jimmy so far. Both times it was from a broken positive terminal INSIDE THE BATTERY. Hope this helps.
THANKS. IN MY CASE, THE PROBLEM SEEMS MORE LIKE ALL POWER IS LOST BETWEEN IGNITION AND STARTING SYSTEM. IT HAPPENS RANDOMLY. JUST CURIOUS- HOW DID THEY DETERMINE THAT IT WAS BROKEN INSIDE THE BATTERY?
ALSO AS A NOTE REGARDING SAFETY AND JIMMY'S. I OWNED A 94 JIMMY AND WAS HIT HEAD ON- I WALKED AWAY. TRUCK WAS REPAIRED, TOTALLED OTHER CAR. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, SAME TRUCK, TO AVOID KILLING SOMEONE WHO PULLED INTO MY PATH, I ENDED UP HITTING A WALL AT 40MPH AND GOING AIRBORNE, LANDED ON ROOF ABOUT 60 FEET IN THE AIR. WALKED AWAY- TRUCK HELD UP- SAVED MY LIFE. NO INJURIES. IT HAD 180,000 ON ENGINE AND RUNNING PERFECT.

GMMerlin
09-06-2004, 08:48 AM
I have seen many issues with ignition switches on these vehicles causing what you are talking about

kwtrux
09-06-2004, 09:35 AM
I have seen many issues with ignition switches on these vehicles causing what you are talking about
GM merlin:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH- I WAS SUSPICIOUS OF THE IGNITION YESTERDAY WHEN IT HAPPENED TO ME INSTEAD OF MY WIFE.

1. IS THIS REPLACEMENT SOMETHING I CAN DO MYSELF? I AM PRETTY GOOD MECHANICALLY.
2, IF NOT, ANY GUESS HOW MUCH A DEALER MIGHT CHARGE?
3. I SAW A TSB ON THIS PROBLEM- ANY SHOT AT SOME SORT OF POLICY WARRANTY?
I WORK FOR A LEASING CO, IN HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS, IS THIS SOMETHING MY TECHS MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO FOR ME?

I SEE YOUR ANSWERS ON THE BOARD TO MANY PEOPLE, LIKE THE DAYTIME LIGHTS GOING OFF WITH TURN SIGNALS. IT'S NICE OF YOU TO CONTRIBUITE TO US AVERAGE JOE'S.

GMMerlin
09-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Replacing the ignition switch is not a difficult job (difficulty being relevent to your mechanical ability)
There is a TSB #01-07-30-002C - (Aug 21, 2003)
regarding concerns related to ignition switches.
If you are out of warranty, the cost for repairs will be your responsibility.

Thanks for the kind words

kwtrux
09-10-2004, 06:06 AM
I Discovered The Cause Of My Intermittent Electrical Failures.

I Called My Gmc Dealer And Described The Problem. Which Was Complete Electrical Loss, Shutting Off Vehicle While Driving Or Randomly No Start,key Stuck In Ignition.

He Said The Most Common Problem Is The Battery Cable Ends At The Battery Side Tend To Get Crushed Internally- They Are Lead Of Course Where The Contact Is Made.

He Suggested Replacing The Cable Ends. That Very Day, My Wife's Truck Shut Off In The Middle Of Nowhere-blocking A Side Street. Not A Happy Camper. I Jumped The Vehicle And It Started. 10 Seconds Later It Completely Shut Off.
I Tested My Theory. I Popped The Hood, Started Tightening The Ground Side As Hard As I Could- It Was Already Tight. The Hood Light Came On- The Truck Started Without A Jump And Is Still Working Perfect. New Ends This Weekend With Protectant Spray. Sometimes The Most Obvious And Simple Is The Best Place To Look.

As An Example- My Not So Good Tech- I Manage A Heavy Truck Leasing Business. Went On A Road Call For A Large Truck-no Start- He Was Told To First Trace All Battery-starter Wires And Grounds Etc.- Leaves With Just Our Hotshot-no Tools-wastes 3-4 Hours Trying To Jump It Etc.-he Will Soon Not Be Our Tech- And Comes Back- Still Won't Start. My Shop Manager Goes To Customer- In 5 Minutes Discovers Broken Ground Cable End Under Vehicle- Replaces And Vehicle Starts-ground Is Life

jody47
04-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info here. Finding this site and the complete electrical failure information gave my husband a place to start. We had just bought a 2000 Jimmy in excellent condition and really it is in excellent condition. It was owned by a couple without children and taking care of meticulously. The Jimmy was even detailed inside and out before we bought it. It had driver it less than 700 miles when all the instrument panel lights began to flash. This happened twice. My husband checked for loose wires, tightened a couple of things and thought the problem was solved.

Then yesterday, as I was leaving a parking lot, and again ALL the instrument panel lights were flashing and then the car just stopped. THANKFULLY, I was just leaving a parking lot rather than driving in traffic. I immediately put the car into park and restarted the car and went on my way. I made two more stops and then went home. I was worried this complete shut down would happen again.

I scoured the internet looking for answers and came across this forum. From the information I gleamed here my husband FIRST checked the battery before we hauled the Jimmy into a dealership. We had also learned another dealer had recently put in a new battery.....

Both the positive and negative wires were loose. The ground wire was more loose and it arced enough to melt the weather shield. As the plastic ran down it limited the area for contact. So, the only point was arcing between the nut and washer in the battery cable leading to intermittent loss of ground.

My husband scraped off the corroded areas, tightened the wires and all seems fine now. Just showing some photo links. Thanks again for this forum. It helped us find the solution without a hefty bill behind it.

http://home.comcast.net/~jara40/prob1a.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jara40/prob2a.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jara40/prob4a.jpg

ZL1power69
05-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Welcome to the site. Glad you fixed your truck's problem but this thread is over 3 years old. Please refrain from posting in old threads in the future.

Add your comment to this topic!