Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AEM CAI-how to install? is it hard?

AznDragon
02-08-2002, 09:37 PM
i just got a '97 GS-R last week, and i'm getting an AEM CAI tomorrow. i was wondering how difficult it is to install it. i have a friend with an SE-R and he had to have a hole cut into his bumper for his CAI to fit. will my car need to have this done? also, for someone who has never done anything to a car before except change oil, how hard will it be to install the intake? what tools will i need?

toolowintegra
02-08-2002, 09:56 PM
all you'll need is a wrench, skrewdriver and maybe an allen key, installing an intake is very easy, you jack up the car, take off the passenger side front wheel, then take out the stock air box and filter, and then hook up the CAI to your throttle body, and then attach the new filter to the end of the CAI which will be near the passenger side front wheel, and then you're done, reset ECU and you're ready to go, hope it helps, and good luck (shouldn't take more than 1/2 hr total

engsr
02-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Hey AznDragon:

i know ZERO about cars, and i was able to install the AEM CAI on my GS-R without any major problems.

the first thing you need to do is jack the right front tire up and remove the tire. you then need to remove part of the wheel well cover to reach the intake resonator. there will be two 10mm bolts that are underneath. remove those and the resonator should come out. watch out for the tubing that attaches to the resonator and the fender (not a big problem).

under the hood, remove the filter cover with a Philip's head screw driver (the + pattern) and then remove the three 10mm bolts from the upper resonator. remove the rubber tube that is attached to the intake tube (before the throttle body). now, the problem i had was removing the bolt that holds the intake tube to the throttle body. i actually stripped mine and broke it. not a big problem, in my mind.

once you have all the stock parts out, attaching the CAI should be a piece of cake. just make sure you re-attach the tube that was attached to the original intake. i had to get another tube because the stock one wouldn't fit correctly. attach the filter inside the wheel well, re-attach the well cover, and put the tire back on.

to reset the ECU, follow this simple procedure. i got this from the old PH:

let the car warm up for 5-10 minutes, then turn off the car. Locate the Back Up fuse (7.5 amps) in the underhood fuse box and remove it for 5 minutes. Replace the fuse, and start the car and let it idle for a few minutes without touching the gas pedal. Turn off the car, restart it, and drive it hard! This tip, which only works on Honda and other cars with speed-density fuel injection, resets the computer and allows it to "re-learn" the engine with the new modification in place. Good for a few extra horsepower.

hope this helps. :)

00GSR
02-09-2002, 03:37 PM
http://www.team-integra.net/ti/projects/aem/aem1.asp

W/ pictures :cool:

98SILVERGSR
02-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Just sort out the proper hose for either of the two lines you need to hook up. I tried to use the big line for the coolant, which screwed me up 'cause it was too big and I leaked some coolant...oups. AEM really didn't make it clear which one to use for which connection, so just a heads up.

Speechless
02-12-2002, 02:02 PM
Here's a step by step with pics.
Hope it helps.

I'm sure people on this forum as well as on that one will be happy to assist.

http://www.team-integra.net/ti/projects/aem/aem1.asp

Add your comment to this topic!