Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ohms

evilbeef
09-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Could someone explain ohms to me like how you know how many ohms everything is. Like this amp i was looking at says:
250x2 @ 4 Ohm Stereo RMS
500x2 @ 2 Ohm Stereo RMS
750x2 @ 1 Ohm Stereo RMS
500x1 @ 4 Ohm Mono RMS
1000x1 @ 2 Ohm Mono RMS

so, how many watts is it?

sr20de4evr
09-05-2004, 08:16 PM
"ohm" is a measure of resistance or impedance. A voltage is applied across a resistance, and as a result a current flows. A lower resistance will allow more current for a given voltage, and a higher resistance will allow less current for a given voltage. Power is the product of current and voltage, so you can see that a lower resistance will allow more current and you'll get more power. But, the resistance can't be too low or you'll get too much current and the amp will get too hot and pieces will start frying.

Amps are designed to run any speaker down to a certain impedance, in your case, it can run any speaker down to 1ohm if you're using it in stereo (one channel per load), or 2ohm if you're using it bridged (combining both channels to run one load).

All that being said, that amp's specs are insane. Its stereo power ratings don't match up with its bridged power ratings, what amp is it?

evilbeef
09-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Its an audiobahn amp i saw on ebay for 200 bones and i though about getting it i have 2 15's that are 1200 watts and my amp now is pussy so i was going to get a better one the whole thing is:
True Digital Full-Range
New for 2004, Audiobahn’s True Digital Full-Range Amplifiers are specially designed for sonic clarity—purity in it’s finest element. Full range and mid/high frequencies are truly met with these powerful compact amplifiers.

Common features:
True Digital Circuitry
Multi-Stranded Power Supply Toroids
Double-Sided Glass Epoxy Circuit Board
THD: 0.05%
S/N Ratio: >100dB
Frequency Response: 10Hz-20kHz(+/- 1dB)
Variable High-Pass/Low-pass Crossover: 50Hz To 250Hz
Variable Bass Boost: 0 - 12dB
Optional Digital Volt Meter (ADM100T)
Throughput RCA Connections
4-way Protection Circuitry: Thermal, Short Circuit, Overload, and DC Offset
Dual Cooling Fans
Cobalt Blue Illumination
Chrome Flame Fan Grille
High Gloss Chrome-Plated Finish
NICKEL-PLATED BLOCK TERMINALS

250x2 @ 4 Ohm Stereo RMS
500x2 @ 2 Ohm Stereo RMS
750x2 @ 1 Ohm Stereo RMS
500x1 @ 4 Ohm Mono RMS
1000x1 @ 2 Ohm Mono RMS

It measures (HxWxD) 2" x 8 1/2" x 12 7/8"

evilbeef
09-06-2004, 03:01 PM
So i would be using one channel to each speaker so how many watts would that be into each speaker?

sr20de4evr
09-06-2004, 03:05 PM
depends on the impedance of your subs

also, stop looking at audiobahn, if you want a new amp then get a real amp, not a paperweight with chrome.

I don't know what's wrong with the people at audiobahn, they don't know how to rate their amps. Those ratings on that amp make no sense, and I've seen other audiobahn amps that follow the same pattern. I don't know about you but I'm pretty hesitant to buy a product from a company that claims power ratings that aren't even possible.

evilbeef
09-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Well what brand is a "real" amp then

TFFantasy44
09-06-2004, 11:37 PM
If your looking for inexpensive (and it looks like you are), go with a HiFonics Brutus amp. Ebay has 'em for $270 or so for a 1500 watt @ 1 ohm.

sr20de4evr
09-07-2004, 12:01 AM
A real amp is just about anything that doesn't have "50000 watt" written all over the amp, yet when you look at the spec sheet it barely puts out 300rms. In other words, anything that's not audiobahn, sony, lanzar, lightning audio, dual, or any of the other bargain basement amps. Simply, if they sell it in best buy or circuit city, stay far away from it.

CBFryman
09-08-2004, 10:13 AM
[B] i saw on ebay for 200 bones and i though about getting it i have 2 15's that are 1200 watts and my amp now is pussy so i was going to get a better one the whole thing is:
True Digital Full-Range
New for 2004, Audiobahn’s True Digital Full-Range Amplifiers are specially designed for sonic clarity—purity in it’s finest element. Full range and mid/high frequencies are truly met with these powerful compact amplifiers.

Common features:
True Digital Circuitry
Multi-Stranded Power Supply Toroids
Double-Sided Glass Epoxy Circuit Board
THD: 0.05%
S/N Ratio: >100dB
Frequency Response: 10Hz-20kHz(+/- 1dB)
Variable High-Pass/Low-pass Crossover: 50Hz To 250Hz
Variable Bass Boost: 0 - 12dB
Optional Digital Volt Meter (ADM100T)
Throughput RCA Connections
4-way Protection Circuitry: Thermal, Short Circuit, Overload, and DC Offset
Dual Cooling Fans
Cobalt Blue Illumination
Chrome Flame Fan Grille
High Gloss Chrome-Plated Finish
NICKEL-PLATED BLOCK TERMINALS

250x2 @ 4 Ohm Stereo RMS
500x2 @ 2 Ohm Stereo RMS
750x2 @ 1 Ohm Stereo RMS
500x1 @ 4 Ohm Mono RMS
1000x1 @ 2 Ohm Mono RMS

It measures (HxWxD) 2" x 8 1/2" x 12 7/8"

Being that you didnt know what an ohm is i will go light on the fact that you are even looking at an audioPAWN anyhting....its like the guy with the kicker amp for 350 and thought hifonics was an off brand... for what you will pay for audiobahn you can get much better

CBFryman
09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
A real amp is just about anything that doesn't have "50000 watt" written all over the amp, yet when you look at the spec sheet it barely puts out 300rms. In other words, anything that's not audiobahn, sony, lanzar, lightning audio, dual, or any of the other bargain basement amps. Simply, if they sell it in best buy or circuit city, stay far away from it.

amen' to that....but your forgetting pioneer, kicker (some of their stuff is ok", Roadmaster, MTX, BOSS, along with other walmart crap brands... real brands that i have grown to love are Digital Designs, RE (Resonant Engineering), Crystal, and TruTech. JL is good but way over priced...

sr20de4evr
09-08-2004, 02:49 PM
hehehehe roadmaster and boss, those are classics

there's another walmart brand too but I forgot what it is

PaulD
09-08-2004, 09:43 PM
y'all remember kraco and sparkomatic ? There have been some REALLY cheesy brands over the years

pac4eva5
09-08-2004, 10:33 PM
legacy. i know a guy that has EVERYTHING legacy. he claims its the best system. very flashy though...........

Navy I.C.
09-10-2004, 04:42 AM
legacy. i know a guy that has EVERYTHING legacy. he claims its the best system. very flashy though...........

don't laugh too quick, i saw some pics of a chick with jensen everything...
it was a show car, factory sponsored, and hitting real high db's...

CBFryman
09-10-2004, 10:43 AM
don't laugh too quick, i saw some pics of a chick with jensen everything...
it was a show car, factory sponsored, and hitting real high db's...

really? well now im just going ot have to go get me a JC whitney catolog and buy up all thoes $30 subs that handle 500w a $25 componet sets that handle 300w.... right? lmao...

Add your comment to this topic!