Page updated on 12-11-2017

97 Power Steering Leak

WhisQuila
09-05-2004, 01:15 PM
OK well i've been putting off going to get my car's powrsteering leak fixed (not driving it tho so don't worry).

Anyway i figured out that the leak is not happening at the reservoir. But i have decided that the engineers at Buick/GM must have been retarded when they designed the enging bay. why the hell is the powersteering reservoir on the passenger side of the car when obviously the steering column is not?

The leak happens on what looks like the middle of the track rod... or on the steering rack (not sure if the car has rack and pinion or recirculating ball steering).

Basically its happening under this little metal cover where the pressure hose is going. (seems like rougly about the middle of the sway bar but above it and the frame) Wish i had some jackstands and i would try to figure this out on my own.

So my question is... does anyone know what i should tell the shop that i take it to to fix... cuz i know its not the pump/reservoir. Also anyone have any idea how much its going to hurt my wallet?

tman
09-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Firstly, It's rack and pinion, secondly, because the column is on the drivers side, there would be no room for the engine to sit the other way, thereby putting the resevoir with the pump.

yogi_123rd
09-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Sounds like the rack is leaking. I shelled out $550 for a job like that.

WhisQuila
09-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Update: Leak is now pinpointed (better than before) at this boot that is ontop of the pinon gear housing? (i think)

the image below shows the rack & pinion assembly. The leak is on a wierd little boot above it right around where the red circle is.

Anyone know what that boot is called and what i should be looking for in there that can leak?

http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~jokeeffe/rp.gif

WhisQuila
09-09-2004, 12:54 PM
OK guys. What is the bushing/seal/whatever called that is where the steering column goes into meet the pinon gear at the rack?

That bushing (i'm guessing its the more correct term) is what is leaking.

I was wondering if this kit from NAPA looks like it would do the job? (I chose 97 lesabre and this showed up)
P/S Pump Seal Kit
Additional Contents: 4 O-rings, 3 lathe cuts, 1 MC seal

Is that MC Seal the thing that keeps the pinon gear and steering column together and leak free? Or am i looking at some sort of "Pinion Seal" as Pepboys website leads me to believe this may be.
Just clueless so any help is appreciated... that way i know if the shop i'm going to go to is going to try and rip me off.

Add your comment to this topic!