Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stuck out of 4x4 newbie

jackalishush
09-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Okay I have a 93 wrangler that will not engage in 4x4 high or low. When I shift i can feel the power change but it seems that only the passanger righ rear gets the power and the fronts just sit there. What could my problem be?? I'm stuck out of the mud.

gtmud
09-07-2004, 05:47 AM
I believe your the victim of a bad vacuum motor, or broke vacuum line to the front axle. If your stuck, and just need to get out try this. Get about 5' of 1/4" vacuum line. Find a good vacuum source on your manifold. Attach one end to the vacuum source and the other to the DS port on the vacuum motor on the axle. With everything in place, engine running, (shifter), you should get an indicator for 4x4 engaged. Might have to try the other port(on the vacuum motor) if it doesn,t engage.(can't remember). There is an after market cable that you can purchase to eliminate the uncertianty of 4 wheel or not.
To T/S this problem once your out of the mud, look at your vacuum lines running near the exhaust, have a tendancy to melt. Also check that ALL of your lines are connected. With your engine running, place your T-case in 4. pull the connection off of your front axle(vacuum motor). Do you have vacuum? If so, may need to replace your V motor, if not, and your lines are good, there is a switch mounted on the top-D/S of your T-case, it could be bad. Good luck.

jackalishush
09-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks I'll give it a shot.

I believe your the victim of a bad vacuum motor, or broke vacuum line to the front axle. If your stuck, and just need to get out try this. Get about 5' of 1/4" vacuum line. Find a good vacuum source on your manifold. Attach one end to the vacuum source and the other to the DS port on the vacuum motor on the axle. With everything in place, engine running, (shifter), you should get an indicator for 4x4 engaged. Might have to try the other port(on the vacuum motor) if it doesn,t engage.(can't remember). There is an after market cable that you can purchase to eliminate the uncertianty of 4 wheel or not.
To T/S this problem once your out of the mud, look at your vacuum lines running near the exhaust, have a tendancy to melt. Also check that ALL of your lines are connected. With your engine running, place your T-case in 4. pull the connection off of your front axle(vacuum motor). Do you have vacuum? If so, may need to replace your V motor, if not, and your lines are good, there is a switch mounted on the top-D/S of your T-case, it could be bad. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!