Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacable Parts for LeSabre

Dr. Pimento
09-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi again! As you may or may not have realized, while I'm new to these forums, I am also new to "automotive work" in general.

However, I am deeply interested, and would love to learn more..

To wit, I am trying to compile a list of parts that I can use to "upgrade the performance" of my LeSabre (1996).. it's got the (i believe) 2.6 3800 engine (gosh, I don't know for SURE, but those numbers sound right).. the rest is pretty much stock, as far as I know. (My grandparents owned it prior, and I know they weren't into customizing anything. :p)

IN ADDITION, I would be very much indebted to anyone who can point me to a "how-to" site that would cater to my beginner's status.. The workings of my car facinate me, and yet I don't know where to even begin.

Thanks!
>-~~-> Dr. Pimento

tman
09-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Howstuffworks.com Check the auto section. Everything is written in about a 2nd grade reading level, and you seem rather smart, so this ought to help you a great deal.

Dr. Pimento
09-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Awesome link.. thanks! Once I've gotten the "how" down, is there a place I can go that deals specifically with the Buick line?

SpitAndDirt
09-04-2004, 12:50 AM
None that I know of, unless you want to search out a Buick car club. If your engine is a 3800, it should be a 3.8Liter motor. That motor is common to other GM makes such as the Pontiac Grand Prix, Pontiac Bonneville, Oldsmobile 88, 98, and Cutlass Supreme. Chevrolet also uses that motor in the later model Monte Carlos and Luminas. It's a really rugged, reliable motor. You can put an easy 200,000 miles on it before it may even need a timing chain replacement. Check with other sites dealing with those other cars and you will find many similarities in the powertrain with those models. By the way, if you want some free info from the dealer, here's how. Go to ANY GM dealer service department and ask for a copy of all the RPO (Regular Production Options) codes that correspond to your vehicle. They need the VIN to do this. I would preferably look for a female service writer as they are usually more friendly and more willing to help you. They can at the same time tell you if there are any computer programming updates available for your car. Some drivability issues can not be solved by simply throwing parts into the car. The computer needs to be reprogrammed with updates. You may have none, or one , or a lot of updates. You decide what you want to do, but ask for a copy of the updates and what they are supposed to cure. You are not obligated to purchase the updates. If your car is running fine, then don't bother. You have On Board Diagnostic Generation 2 on your car(OBD2). This means you need some sort of scanner to "read" information that your car's computer stores in the event that your check engine light comes on. If you have a laptop or a very portable desktop, you can check out http://obddiagnostics.com for a FREE program that will allow you to look into your cars brain. You do need to purchase an interface for about $90 if you are not willing to build one yourself. But the cost of any other scanner that is sold at your local parts stores is much more than what this site is offering. The part store scanners are also NOT capable of half of what the program does. I like helping people understand their vehicles better. I believe the more knowledge you have about your vehicle makes you less likely to get taken advantage of in the event you need to pay someone else to perform a job that is above and beyond what your skill level is. And everyone I know loves to save a dollar when it comes to auto repair. Good luck and don't stop learning. -Chris

Add your comment to this topic!