Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remove rear view mirror adhesive...this is kinda funny

ocinfo
09-03-2004, 04:10 PM
My girlfriend's rear view mirror fell off and she decided that she wanted to be a "big girl" and put it back on herself. She bought the adhesive kit, cleaned everything really well, so that the mirror would stick great, and then she glued the button onto the windshield.

Sounds good huh?

Only one problem. The button was glued on backwards...lol

So my question is. What kind of chemical is the adhesive material soluble in? I haven't even messed with it yet but I figured i'd just ask first instead of randomly trying things.

I figured I'd start with alcohol since the package says to clean the old adhesive up with that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

INF3RN0666
09-04-2004, 10:26 AM
LOL, big girls make big messes. WELL, you can try a simple procedure that work with any other adhesive. Get a hair dryer and blow dry it with hot air for about 2 minutes. When it seems dry, bust out a big exacto knife that is made for scraping and scrape that crap off the windshield. It's worked pretty well. Sometimes, you can just rub it off with your hand after you blow dry it.

A second method would be to burn it off but if there's anything flammable beside it, don't try it :P.

MagicRat
09-05-2004, 09:08 PM
LOL, big girls make big messes. WELL, you can try a simple procedure that work with any other adhesive. Get a hair dryer and blow dry it with hot air for about 2 minutes. When it seems dry, bust out a big exacto knife that is made for scraping and scrape that crap off the windshield. It's worked pretty well. Sometimes, you can just rub it off with your hand after you blow dry it.

A second method would be to burn it off but if there's anything flammable beside it, don't try it :P.
Read the post again.
It seems as if the metal tab is still stuck to the windshield.
Solvent wont work, since you can't soak it to well, and excessive heat (burning it off????) WILL BREAK THE WINDSHIELD.

Don't try to pry or knock off the metal tab. Since the glue is new, you will more than likely BREAK THE WINDSHIELD.

Get a new metal tab, either through the dealer or an auto parts place. Take the mirror along and make sure the new tab fits. Lots of tabs look similar but are a bit different. Get a new tube of the special glue and stick the new tab on top of the existing one.

INF3RN0666
09-06-2004, 09:29 PM
lol heating up the windshield wont crack it :P I did it to mine. The only reason it cracked is kuz a stupid truck had rocks flying outa its bed and one hit my windshield. Only sudden changes in temperature will cause cracks to begin. Or excess cold.

ocinfo
09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
The new button thing is an option that I was already thinking about. As far as prying it off I wasn't even going to try. So...will heating up the button with say a blow dryer work?...Any other ideas would be great.

Thanks

MagicRat
09-07-2004, 08:56 PM
lol heating up the windshield wont crack it :P I did it to mine. The only reason it cracked is kuz a stupid truck had rocks flying outa its bed and one hit my windshield. Only sudden changes in temperature will cause cracks to begin. Or excess cold.
I don't mean to nit pick but I said 'excessive heat' with respect to your comment about burning it off.
A blow dryer mimics the effect of thew cars defroster heat so its okay.
Excessive cold wont break a windshield. I have driven plenty of cars at minus 40 degrees with no problem. Excessive thermal shock might, though, such as really extreme changes in temperature. But is would take some real effor to manage that.

ocinfo
09-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Well we just glued a new button on top of the old one.

Thanks for the advice

Add your comment to this topic!