Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission sensor location

rogerramjet
09-03-2004, 09:40 AM
I have a 1996 windstar with a 3.8 with approx 200,000 km
The transmission started acting up yesterday
when the car is hot it will stay in second gear and not shift up ,
My search on this forum seems to indicate that the problem may be a transmission sensor
I understand there may be two sensors 1-2 and 3-4 can anyone tell me where they are located and can they be accessed easily or if you have had the same problems is there some other likely cause for the problem and a solution
one suggestion is that the problem may be solved by a Transmission flush and filter change
I have only owned the van for 8 months so don't know the service history the fluid looks clean and bright red no burnt odor or browning
Any help or suggestions would be apprecaited
Roger

rogerramjet
09-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Just did another search and there was a suggestion the problem may be EGR related
Just replaced the PME which is attached to the EGR valve last month it was totally clogged up could this be a contributor to the problem
I have a spare EGR that I bought at the ame tiem as the PME out of a wrecked car Should I replace the EGR as well as the sensors
Should I get new sensors or can I use Wrecker used parts ??

FredA
09-03-2004, 01:48 PM
I have a lot of info on this. You can call me in my office to discuss it. (There's too much to write.) 914-921-6900. (Mon.-Fri, 8-5) But I will leave early today. Ask for Fred

rogerramjet
09-03-2004, 03:52 PM
will call you on tuesday hopefully the car makes it through the weekend
thanks for your quick reply
Roger

DMS825
09-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Here is a post I made in another forum that relates to your problem.

98 3.8 GL without any warning suddenly started sticking in second gear when hot. Replaced the transmission/transaxle range sensor # F5DZ7F293BA $54.13 to resolve the problem. Repair involved removing two mounting bolts and one nut which secured the shift lever. Very easy repair.

You can pick up a haynes manual for $15 to find a picture of the location of the sensor. I understand the sensor can be had for $25 from Autozone.

rogerramjet
09-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Changed the TRS transmission range sensor and the problem dissapeared thanks to all who provided help and Guidance PS if your Spedometer is not working as well as the transmission not shifting into 3 -4 its probably the VSS Vehicle speed sensor not the TRS. Its a lot bigger job

FredA
09-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Roger...can you tell me how you did the alignment. (I understand that when you replace the TRS, there is a special alignment tool needed.) Also, did you totally remove the air-filter housing to get at it ? Was it an easy job ? Thanks !

12Ounce
09-13-2004, 12:13 PM
FredA
'xcuse me for buttin in.

On my '99, the DTR sensor had line-marks engraved on the sensor body. Just install loosely and align the marks while the selector is in neutral. Then secure the bolts.

Check your sensor before removing to see if the marks are there.

rogerramjet
09-13-2004, 05:04 PM
The "Tool"they are talking about is basicall apiece of card stock that bridges the bolt for the selector an ligns up with the slot cut into the body of the sensor beside the plug and a slot on the transmission body on the other side you may find the etch marks as stated by 12 ounce, depending on the year of your car generally the adjustment is pretty small you can also mark your old sensor and the transmission case with white out and match the marks on your new sensor
'Yes had to remove the air intake to get at it .
Roger

jnastoga1
07-18-2010, 10:20 AM
actually pulled the tranny input sensor located driver side adove drive axle thinking it was the vehicle speed sensor ,and am wondering if this is replaced will the transmission actually then shift out of second into 3rd and so on as the problem is that it will not come out of second and the problem happened out of knowhere ? HELP !!!! OH! This is a 1996 ford windstar 3.8 v6 ..

wiswind
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
That is unlikely to solve the problem.
I recommend that you get the code(s) read.....many auto part stores will do this for you for free.
Write down the actual numeric code(s) that they get.

jnastoga1
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
That is unlikely to solve the problem.
I recommend that you get the code(s) read.....many auto part stores will do this for you for free.
Write down the actual numeric code(s) that they get.

I Actually did have the codes read and the codes that came up were 1537/1538 in which had something to do with the manifold runner control fault-bank 1 and 2 / it also said that it detected a signal from the IMRC,VALVE STUCK OPEN .In whch has nuthing to do with the problem ,.. thanks for replying though..

12Ounce
07-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Don't assume. Fix the failures that you can. Many tranny problems .... have turned out to be engine problems.

However, if you do have a tranny problem ... it is unlikely the code reader at parts store will read the code.

Add your comment to this topic!