Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

abs and traction control please help????

methos3372
09-02-2004, 06:19 PM
my abs and traction control light comes on and stays on for a while minutes
and then sometimes goes out and sometimes stays on
sometimes it doesn't come on for a couple of minutes after i drive the car
they always come on at the same time and go out at the same time
when they are on and i am making a sharp turn to the left my brakes lock up and jerk the car a little
does anyone know what is causing this????

Antiburn
09-06-2004, 12:29 PM
I have a similar problem but my check engine light is on which I think might be due to the oil change that is needed. Also the anit-lock light comes on and doesnt go off unless you restart the car.
Werid thing is before any of these lights come on the car runs a little ruff for a second.

ANd sometimes when you break the abs comes on and you cant stop in time. I stopped driving the mark and let another family memeber drive it. I just have having those lights on all the time.

lincoln_mark_8
12-18-2004, 04:14 PM
what year is the car

Antiburn
12-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Mines a 93, I donno about the other guy.

paul_meets_mark
02-04-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a 94 MK8....Im having the *anti-lock* light come on.
It once went out while driving but has refused to leave.
It wont come on until I shift into second, then it lights up. I never had this problem before, it started when I took off my relay for testing, I sprayed the connectors and put it back in, and now I have the problem.
??????????????????????????????????

Crasen
02-05-2006, 08:47 AM
So you are saying you never had the problem until you removed the relay sprayed it, then reinstalled it. I am assuming you are talking about the relay in the drivers side wheelwell. You can swap the relay with the air susuension relay it is in the passenger side wheelwell and is the same relay. It would tell you if it is just a relay or something else. You could try going to www.markviii.org you will find a lot more help on that sight than here.

paul_meets_mark
02-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Funny you should mention it...the reason I took it off, was because my air compressor relay was smashed, so i took the abs relay off to test the compressor, when i put it back on, the anti-lock lock goes on at about 30mph, or so, and stays on.

Crasen
02-19-2006, 10:23 AM
did the relay work for the compressor? What do you mean by smashed? if the connection the relay connected to was smashed as well you could have bent pins on the relay i guess.

paul_meets_mark
03-15-2006, 01:52 PM
No the pins are all fine, on male and female...It plugs in smooth, no problem there. Just getting the light on around 30mph. All fuses are fine. One guy told me it could be from the sensors on each wheel, they look like gears and if any teeth are chipped, the abs thinks its not working??? but i also think this guys an idiot, because of other things hes told me, sooooo...?

Add your comment to this topic!