Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Forester XT oil changes

cat5
09-01-2004, 11:25 PM
I am going to try doing my own oil changes on my new 04 Forester XT.
I watched my mechanic do my first one, and there was a plastic (very soft) cover with a flap/door that had to be opened to get to the filter and plug.
He had trouble with it, because the pins were hard to remove. He was using a sort of nail puller type of tool but the plastic was so soft that he could not get a grip on the pin, which is of course plastic.

I am wondering what is the best way to open the flap.
Also, I will buy some extra pins to replace any that break. I suppose I can get these at CarParts.com or maybe a local retailer.

I will also be looking for a "no-mess" container to drain the oil into and then pour it back into the bottles in which the new oil came for recycling.
I would like something covered, with a spout.

Any ideas?

Thanks

cat5

Bossman
03-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Cat5,
All of the things you mentioned for changing your oil can be obtained at any major name auto parts store; no problem.

Will you using synthetic or petroleum based oil?

Happy motoring!

SabreKhan
03-14-2005, 08:35 AM
A screwdriver will get under those pins pretty easily. You just have to pry them loose. You'll eventually break one or more of them, but until it's actually causing the plastic to sag I wouldn't worry about replacing them.

ctp_mechanix
05-31-2005, 10:12 AM
when i worked in a shop for i came across an 04 forester, not an xt but it still had the flap. screwdriver in, push up flap down. nothin broke. worse case scenarnio you lose the flap, 02's have no flap and there is still the same opening. so yeah, ur choice. and on a side note, since the car is turbocharged. and i presume your doing your own oilchanges so u must be a bit of a motorhead, change ur oil every 2000-2500 and use synthetic, or drive it like a grandma

Add your comment to this topic!