Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radio Code

MrCobra
09-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Ok so my dad also has a PA and as I was ready to dissconnect the battery to maybe get the computer to relearn the idle he informed me that I may not want to do that just yet. From what I gathered from him if I do this then my radio will then become locked. Thereby me having to go to the buick dealer and pay to have them get me my code so I can unlock the radio, such as he had to do.

So the 3rd question for the night is. Is there a way that I can find out exactly what the code is for this radio without having to go to the dealer and pay for it ?

Thank you

CObra

Flatrater
09-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Nope unless you are the one that inputted the code. If you want you can try to unplug the ECm from the car to see if it will relearn.

I could be of more help if I knew what year the car was. What is the car doing and so on.

aarcuda
09-02-2004, 09:24 AM
why would disconnecting the battery cause the radio to become locked?

I had my 95 PA's battery disconnected for several weeks while I replaced the motor and the radio was fine when i reconnected it.

and exactly what does the theft deterrant radio do? does it just not allow the radio to work if it is installed in a non gm car? Can't I just put another 95 PA stereo in from the junk yard and have it work?

MrCobra
10-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Ok so my dad also has a PA and as I was ready to dissconnect the battery to maybe get the computer to relearn the idle he informed me that I may not want to do that just yet. From what I gathered from him if I do this then my radio will then become locked. Thereby me having to go to the buick dealer and pay to have them get me my code so I can unlock the radio, such as he had to do.

So the 3rd question for the night is. Is there a way that I can find out exactly what the code is for this radio without having to go to the dealer and pay for it ?

Thank you

CObra

Ok so now I need a new battery and I have NO code for my 1993 PA. Is the only way to get this code by going to the dealer and paying them to look it up for me ?

thanks
Cobra

aarcuda
10-22-2004, 07:17 AM
see my post above

pirho451
10-22-2004, 07:26 AM
If I remember correctly, none of the '93 PA's had the Delco "Theftlock" stereos. If it doesn't say theftlock on the front, then you won't have to worry about having to put in a code for the stereo. I'm pretty sure those didn't come out until '95 in the PA's.

Worst case scenario is that you have to go to the dealer and they can get the code for you, once they verify that you're the owner of the car.

deadring
10-22-2004, 08:15 AM
since nobody steals delcos like that.. i might look on the radio itself to se if the previuos owner didn't wirte the code on it.. sure wenough this asks for you to take it out of the dash.. but since it takes a about 20 minutes to do.. it'.s worth a shot..

i know i would put the code on the radio frame somewhere... there useless anyway, the will STILL rip out the dash and take the radio.. whats the use of getting "satified" beacause he wont be able to make it work if he ripped open the whole dash of your car?..how joyful :)

anyway if you are certain that the radio has a code then take it out yerself fopr the code in the back or somewhere... the dealer will porably going to do it anyway to get the serial in order to get the code back....oh and bring the car with you at the dealer.. so they wont think YOU stole it lol
deadring

kaspr
10-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Does a red LED light blink right by the word "Theftlock" on your radio when the car is off? If so, then it is active, and you need to take it to a dealer. If not, then you don't have anything to worry about. Also, you can just press and hold the radio preset buttons 1 and 4 at the same to get into the theftlock setup. If the screen says "---", then that means Theftlock is not set. If it says "SEC", then it's armed and active.

Add your comment to this topic!