Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turn signals

ssjwizard
09-01-2004, 08:42 AM
ok so my wife drives a 95 grand am. about 2 days ago when driving the turn signals simply stoped working. i wasnt to concerned with this as it has happed twice before and each time they came back on about 20-30 mins later. this time they have yet to come back on. any ideas what the problem might be???

GASE 95
09-01-2004, 09:25 AM
you might need a new flasher. They are easy to get to and cheap to buy. Also check to see if the ALL of the bulbs are working

richtazz
09-01-2004, 12:30 PM
if the flasher doesn't fix it, you have a bad turn signal switch. I don't believe your car requires you to remove the steering wheel to replace the switch, so it's not too hard a job

Jim-n-Anj
12-05-2004, 07:19 PM
OK, my wifes 1999 Grand Am is having the same problem with the signals working when they want to. Normally they work when it is cold outside but not when it warms up, I figured it was the flasher relay, but where in the (*&^&(&*&##^ is it??????

Jim-n-Anj
12-07-2004, 06:38 PM
So how do you access the hazard light flasher? I am not sure how to remove the cover so that I can replace the flasher. :banghead:

swalt
12-07-2004, 08:48 PM
I believe there is a flasher for the turn signals and a flasher for the four way flashers...I think. I'm just thinking back when I replaced mine on my 93 GT. You need to remove the panel under the steering column. Turn the four ways on and look/listen for the clicking. If there are two the turn signal flasher should be close by...looks like a round silver or gold coloured unit a little smaller than a film container. If it is not that, it is likely the multifunction switch (turn signal indicator and arm...it is all one unit) When the turn signals quit, was there any smoke from the steering column for a brief second. If there was then it is most definitely the turn signal assembly. On my 93 I had to pull off the steering wheel to replace the unit.

Jim-n-Anj
12-13-2004, 10:13 AM
The 99 model shares the flasher relay between the turn signal and hazard. The hazard button and flasher are located in the center o the dash, just above the raio. I need to find out how to remove the panels there to access the flasher to replace it.

Add your comment to this topic!