Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

390 swap?

benswolf_1
09-01-2004, 12:39 AM
I recently bought a 67 galaxie and want to swap out the old 390 with a rebuilt one i just bought and was wondering how hard it would be for me and some friends to swap them-im 17 and they are around same age, thanks-and any ideas on some good headers that will fit-im building a driver that i can drag on the weekends at our 1/8. thanks!

big1
09-02-2004, 05:51 PM
You didn't say if your car was an automatic or straight shift. Either way it's a very basic swap with one big exception. The exhaust bolt's can be a real bear on these engine's due to the fact that they point up and exposed to the element's. Spray them several time's a day for a few day's prior to the swap. You'll be glad you did.
For some silly reason Ford decided to add stud's to there torque convertor's. If your car is an automatic, I'd suggest that you set your stud location so there is one straight up. That way you can turn the engine so that the corrosponding hole in the flywheel is also straight up. Make certain that the stud engage's the hole upon alignment and installation of the engine.

Add your comment to this topic!