Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Explorer Sun Roof

slp2001
08-31-2004, 10:34 AM
I have a 2002 Eddie Baurer Explorer V8. After a rain storm water runs down and through the control panel in the roof. I went to ford and they blew out the drain hose, that runs down the windshield frame. Has this happened to any one else. The Sunroof design is pretty bad. Ford told me that the seal is there only to SLOW down the water, it isn't water tight. I can't believe this. There is a tray in there to catch the water and funnel it down the windshield tubes. I am taking back tomorrow for them to look at it again. I always have to return it at least twice to get any thing fixed!

04BlueXLT
08-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Sorry to here about your problem with the sunroof. This design is pretty standard. My wife had a 1997 Pontiac and now has a 2001 GMC Yukon. I had a 2001 SuperCrew and now have a 2004 Explorer. All of these vehicles have sunroofs. These are designed exactly the same way as yours. We never had a problem with any of these. The drain design works pretty good since it's nearly impossible to stop every drop from coming through (unless yours is leaking a lot more). I guess we've been lucky not to have a plugged drain.

Good Luck!

MB219
12-24-2004, 07:27 PM
I have a 2002 Eddie Baurer Explorer V8. After a rain storm water runs down and through the control panel in the roof. I went to ford and they blew out the drain hose, that runs down the windshield frame. Has this happened to any one else. The Sunroof design is pretty bad. Ford told me that the seal is there only to SLOW down the water, it isn't water tight. I can't believe this. There is a tray in there to catch the water and funnel it down the windshield tubes. I am taking back tomorrow for them to look at it again. I always have to return it at least twice to get any thing fixed!

My daughter & her husband had the same problem with their 2002 and the dealer also "cleared out the drain holes" and declared the problem solved. It's true that the gasket only stops some leakage but what water does pass it flows into the tray and down the drains. On the 3rd trip back to Ford my son-in-law INSISTED that the tray had to be leaking and that it should be repaired or replaced. They removed the tray and found that indeed it was cracked. Also the control module showed signs of rust and corrosion not to mention that it affected the rear A/C and the dealer was forced to replace that also.

This was months ago and the sunroof hasn't leaked since. Don't take "no" for an answer. Demand that the tray be examined. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!