Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

More Power?

Cryo boy
08-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Hey, I was wondering how much tourque it's gonna take to get my front wheels off the ground. :smokin: I am running a 71' Nova with a 350 small block that is estimated to be around 380 horse power. It has world products iron heads, 3.08 open rear, with traction bars, and a mono leaf suspention with comp enginering coil overs. I have about 9 inch wide tires, not teribaly sticky. I am putting on a set of e.t. pro slicks (I think that's what they are called) for the strip. :eek7:

Bottom line... Will my 71 small block nova pull up the front wheels? :sunglasse

MrPbody
08-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Bottom line is traction. That rear and gear ratio gotta go! You will need to tie the front and rear together by using "frame connctors". You will also need a good "posi" rear or spool, and a gear ratio more intended for low-speed/high torque operation. Probably in the 4.10 range. A torque converter will also be required.
Once the chassis is right, then you can begin making changes to the engine to get enough power to accomplish your goal. It will NOT happen until you get the chassis right.

Cryo boy
08-30-2004, 03:57 PM
We are already in the process of frame conectors, i have a desighn schetched up, i just need to buy the stock, and cut and tig it. We are also gettin a posi 3.73 rear, preferably 12 bolt, aint found one yet... And, its a m-21 4 speed, not an automatic, so tourqe converters are outta the question

MrPbody
08-31-2004, 07:56 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track. But, why are you making connectors? Lakewood, Southside Machine and a few others make them at a very reasonable price.
You're gonna need traction bars (slappers or ladders). You're also going to need more gear unless you have a "wide ratio" Muncie, to get the launch you're after. Small blocks generally like the "close ratio" trans and more gear better. Bigger engines like the taller rear gear and the wide ratio.

Add your comment to this topic!