Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dodge 4.7 Liter

CRSMechanical
08-29-2004, 06:30 PM
My wife's sister's husband asked me to find out how to access the spark plug on his 2002 Dodge Ram p/u which has a 4.7 liter engine.
So far I have been able to find that this engine uses seperate coils at each spark plug. A quick look at the engine did not even reveal spark plug location (no tell tale plug wires to follow). The plugs are supposed to be located in the center of the combustion chamber like a "hemi" but the chamber is not quite a hemispherical shape. I hope to find more information but would appreciate hearing from someone with personal knowledge as I promised to get some info.

p.s. Hello to everyone out there!

moparmike70
08-29-2004, 08:58 PM
The plugs are located under the coils. Take the two bolts that mount the coil to the valve cover then disconect the plug in connector and pull the coil up out of the tube. You will notice the " igition wire" is attatched to the coil. You will find the plug underneath. There are four in the middle of each vale cover. Sometimes they go through the intake at the very top of the valve cover.

CRSMechanical
08-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. They must be located through the intake as there is nothing on top of the valve covers. Since the plugs are described as being in the middle of the combustion chamber I was begining to think they had put them under the valve cover. All those things just inside the valley between the cylinder banks must not be just fuel injectors.

Anyone knowing where we can find pictures "us old mechanics do prefer to have pictures"
Thanks again everybody!

Add your comment to this topic!