Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Explorer Sport 4x4 Transmission

bardware
08-29-2004, 12:09 PM
I've noticed a couple of different posts related to '93 Explorer transmission problems. I do have the same problem with mine (which is currently unresolved), so I'll post it here as well.

When I first bought the Explorer, the 4x4 mode worked for two days, then stopped working. When I depress either of the 4x4 buttons, the electronic control module (ECM) clicks on then back off after about a second. The wiring diagram for the shift transfer cases show that the ECM talks to the following equipment:

Shift control switches
Anti-lock Brake Module (ABM)
Instrument Cluster
Gear Select Switch
Transfer case speed sensor
Transfer case motor
Transfer case clutch
Shift Position Sensors (Shift motor Assembly)

Since the ECM clicks on and then back off, I'm not sure whether it is the problem; I think that the problem lies further down the line, but I don't have any other information yet which would indicate where the problem is.

One thing that I think may have been a contributing factor (and this is conjecture on my part) is that, the front brakes had just been done. When I took the vehicle to get an alignment done, the repair shop indicated that both of the front hub cover assemblies were put on incorrectly (by Midas, nonetheless). I wonder if that could cause the ECM or maybe the shift control switch to burn out. I'd like to test the circuits to see if there are any electrons flowing between the ECM/SPS, but don't know if that would do any good. A dealership would be happy to analyze it for me, but I don't want to spend $100 for a diag just yet.

Has anyone talked to Ford about historical 4x4 tranny problems of this nature?

Shade3
08-31-2004, 10:30 PM
I just replaced my xfer case on my 94. The shop put on a different motor with the rebuilt xfer case, and my 4x4 no longer worked. I would hit the button, and the ECM in the back left quarter panel would click, but no light on dash and no 4x4. I went back to the shop and they put my original motor back on the vehicle, and it works now.

You might want to take the motor off the xfer case to see if its actually turning when you hit the switch (this would require 2 people to verify).

Hope this has helped.

Add your comment to this topic!